Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901-S Quarter Pricing Question (Related To Grading)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 642Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today was a good day as I completed my Barber quarter set with this PCGS VG10 1901-S. I paid what I thought was a fair price as I havent seen any legit Vg coins of this date/mint available online anywhere recently. I do have a question - for lower grade coins that are better for the grade range such as G6, Vg10, F15, Vf30, etc. is theire a general rule of thumb for pricing - i.e. do you interpolate linearly between the next lower and higher grades to come up with a value - I know it depends, but what do most of you usually do?

Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on getting the key to the series. I really like it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56804 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin will sell totally on eye appeal in a TPG holder at any grade.

Can we see the reverse?
Edited by Coinfrog
04/10/2021 10:24 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bud250r. Here is the back. Coin is really uniform and I couldnt walk away without buying it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56804 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price aside, hard to imagine a better specimen for the grade. Well done!
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent coin smart purchase.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
786 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really comment on how best to price coins like that, when buying or selling, but what I feel confident in saying is that it would be nice if more VG-10s looked like that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An absolute beauty of a true collectors coin.
Easily argue FINE for that one!
Edited by Pacificoin
04/11/2021 12:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1109 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very nice coin for the grade. Congratulations on finishing your set. Any pics of the entire series?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2315 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely choice for the grade, and I'd assume a shoo-in for CAC, if you're into that kind of thing. Very, very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7807 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on completing your set. I agree with the others that this specimen is a very good choice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
661 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to end with a bang!
Congratulations!
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10054 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congratulations on completing your set. I agree with the comments. this coin is choice VG10 and a good shot at F12. nice pickup.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no rule of thumb for pricing, and your coin is difficult to price. I start with major auction house realized pricing to try to put a value on a coin. On a VG10 1901 S Barber quarter, there has not been one sold in the last 5 years at a major auction house. DLC has a VG8 1901 S CAC currently up for auction starting at 8.7K, and CAC list the coin at 10.6K, but the 10.6K appears to be high as there are 21 VG8 CAC examples. A VG8 sold in 9/19 for 7.3K. PCGS retail is 10K for a VG10, but sometimes on rare key dates the retail number can be low. I like your coin better than the DLC, CAC example. I am putting the fair value of your coin at 9.5K to 10.5K. There is a big price jump to the next F12 grade that could also add to the price to a quality VG10 example. You should send the coin into CAC for a sticker. There is a none distracting scratch under the tail feathers that could hold it back from getting a sticker. CAC has stickered 5 VG10 examples and CAC puts the price at 11.9K for a stickered example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12,CAC? Coin looks properly graded but not anything extrodinare above other common Barber VG10's. Here is a common date VG10 non CAC for comparison - both coins appear close to me and as for CAC approval I really don't care so big about it...when CAC stickers walk on water maybe I would take note. Your 1901 S is awesome I also need this last date mm for my set so know you must be very pleased.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1981 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,
Congratulations on completing a very difficult set!

Here's the question you asked:

Quote:
for lower grade coins that are better for the grade range such as G6, Vg10, F15, Vf30, etc. is theire a general rule of thumb for pricing - i.e. do you interpolate linearly between the next lower and higher grades to come up with a value - I know it depends, but what do most of you usually do?

The Greysheet openly publishes its retail price guide. The wholesale (dealer purchase price) guide is by subscription only, and is well worth the cost. The Greysheet retail guide for the 1901-S includes all of the commonly encountered and commonly assigned grades.

This is one of the more reliable online pricing guides.

Again, great coin, solid VG-10, and congrats on completing the set!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05