Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 $1 Eisenhower Clad Layer Issue?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 367Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
177 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a specimen without clad layer, or what exactly is causing this discoloration?
Gratefully submitted.

Edited by Nativearapaho
04/11/2021 01:34 am
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for the double reverse photos.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this particular coin be displaying a form of clashing?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the glad is there. yellow color on nickel can come from different sources.

Please can you post a photo from side? to see the rims? This will tell about the clad.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely, will take couple photos of side as requested.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38876 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be toning to me. Not an error.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50707 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something in its environment is causing this. Even we are affected by our environment. We just put up with or try to avoid some surroundings. Coins don't have that choice. They are victims of there surroundings.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nativearapaho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, you put it tenderly and came at my soul. Amazing, numismatics.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like typical Ike toning to me. Ikes seem to like that golden tone.

It also looks like something was "protecting" the bottom part of the obverse from being affected by the environment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a quick comparison, here's a link to an Eisenhower Bicentennial Dollar that is definitely missing its clad layer on the reverse:

- Bicentennial Clad Layer Missing Errors

PS See my note about coin weights in the discussion for another way to determine if you have a true clad-layer missing coin.

Thanks for sharing your Ike dollar!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50707 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what a missing cladding would look like:

Note the devices on both sides are weaker because of the missing clad layer. That thin layer affects the missing clad coins.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For a quick comparison, here's a link to an Eisenhower Bicentennial Dollar that is definitely missing its clad layer on the reverse:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note the devices on both sides are weaker because of the missing clad layer. That thin layer affects the missing clad coins.

This may be true for many clad-layer missing coins, but not all. For example:

The link I provided above includes images of the Bicentennial quarter and half dollar also.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3907 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bicentennial Eisenhowers that came in uncirculated sets packaged by the mint often show considerable light 'gold' toning. Usually the toning is rather even, yours appears blotchy on the obverse. I have a couple dozen '76 Ikes with strong gold toning, taken directly from government packaging.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New