Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 D Washington Quarter, Motto Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedMP1972 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The mint mark appears to be doubled, additionally, "In God We Trust" is oversized and there appears to be doubling there as well. Lastly on the reverse I see doubling in the word, "America", specifically there is doubling on the " A's", and "C". Thoughts?

Edited by RedMP1972
04/11/2021 3:46 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50614 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The motto does look interesting. The reverse is showing Machine Doubling on the EPU area. But I'm getting ready later to prepare some side by sides. What is the size of your images? I would like a large on of the motto area. I feel these do look doubled as the centers of the closed devices are very small. This rear had the nicest motto devices. Most years they are not quality devices. This year was nicer.

If you submit this coin, you might show these images when checking to see if they are interested in this coin?
It shows the differences on the size of the devices. Also the closing of the closed devices. If that closing of these didn't happen, then they probably would consider it as die wear.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/11/2021 4:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedMP1972 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please excuse my ignorance, but who would you suggest I submit this coin to?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50614 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest John Wexler:
http://doubleddie.com/1801.html
Bottom of the page, it has his email address. Contact him with these images and see what he thinks?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
04/11/2021 11:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedMP1972 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Michael,

Unfortunately, the doubling that you see on your 1981-D Washington quarter is not the result of a doubled die error. It is a common form of doubling known as " Die Deterioration doubling." It is caused when the dies used to strike the coins are kept in use for too long a period of time.

When the dies strike the planchet to form a coin, the planchet metal is pushed into the cavities of the die to form the design. The constant movement of planchet metal across the surface of the die causes the die surface to wear and erode as time goes by. The eroded areas on the die are depressed, but on the coins they appear as raised areas. Since the greatest erosion is around the design elements such as the letters, date, etc. the new raised areas resemble doubling. According to the Mint, dies that strike coins with primarily nickel planchets ( Jefferson nickels) or with nickel in the alloy (clad dimes, quarters, and half dollars) wear down more quickly because the nickel resists spreading when stuck causing the dies to wear down more quickly.

Serious doubled die collectors consider this to be a form of damage rather than a collectible form of doubling. Consequently, coins with this common form of doubling do not have any extra value. You can find more information and photo illustrations of Die Deterioration Doubling at my website http://www.doubleddie.com. In the left column menu click on Worthless Doubling. Scroll down and then click on Die Deterioration Doubling.

Sincerely,
John A. Wexler

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50614 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. So it's not a DDO. He is the first choice. So we may think he is wrong, but consider, he was probably had several examples he has looked at before. So he does know that he's seen this before. That is why I recommend, sending images first. That way he can see , whether he needs to consider it, or not. The better the images, the better he can determine whether to proceed or to pass.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05