Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Learned My Lesson From Buying From Cheap On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 730Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased around 30 American Silver Eagles since January 2021 on eBay and found that 9 had slabs tampered with and the labels were not authentic. One is an obvious fake slab and label. Starting to learn! I guess all earning has pain associated with it. Is it appropriate to share photos and eBay seller names?
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we would all appreciate photos, seeing fakes can be a great learning experience for everyone. Especially tampered slabs, those don't show up as often

In terms of sharing Ebay seller names, I'm not so sure on that, a Mod will know better than I. Far as I see it, best to just open a case on Ebay, that gives you the best chance of a good result
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38895 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. One thing to do is check authenticity of the slab on the slabbers web site before buying it
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3355 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if they are fakes, or tampered with cases, then you need to return them..If you paid through Paypal you have 180 days, to do a return.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3923 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There may be some thin ice out there, but sellers have been identified with some frequency on this forum in the past.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take some photos today and post them. Will do some side by side comparison shots.

Thanks
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These are slabs from NGC
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

All of these are from the fake PCGS Slab that I mentioned

Learn More...
United States
99225 Posts
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really interesting, for those familiar with slabs there are many clear tells, but to the unfamiliar buyer those are strong approximations of the real thing. Scary!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been doing some research and here are some links.
https://www.PCGS.com/holders
https://www.NGCcoin.com/about/evolu...-NGC-holder/

What I may have is older cases, but some definitely are looking suspect.

I sent some photos to PCGS to review. I will report back.

Thanks for all of the welcome messages!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump

Anything new on this?
Learn More...
United States
33113 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see clear images (obverse and reverse) of the coins in the fake slabs. Also, why did you obscure the certification numbers?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmj18232 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received an email yesterday (after a long wait time) from PCGS. They recommend that I send the coin & holder to them to review as the images were not sufficient to make a determination. The service is free but I have to pay for return shipping.
@nss-52: As far as obscuring the cert number. I have heard that the cert numbers can be used to create fake slabs with real numbers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1077 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel for you. Definitely cracked open and resealed, which has me wondering about authenticity of the coin inside. I would first send them off to PCGS as they've recommended, instructing them for written confirmation of the findings- especially on the coin. Then, if warranted, return them with a copy of the report demanding a full refund including your additional out of pocket costs. Hope it works out for you.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Learn More...
United States
33113 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have heard that the cert numbers can be used to create fake slabs with real numbers.
They can get all the real numbers they want without having to use your images.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 730Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05