Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roll Sorting Tools - What Do You Use?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 603Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but given the details one is looking for in various varieties, I think it applies here. What tools do you use to do your inspection if coins? As my eyes age, the need for better magnification increases and I know I'm not alone. I have my 3x glasses and they help and I have a magnifying lamp and it helps but the magnification isn't that great which means I sometimes still need more. So I'm curious, what do you use?
I saw a pair of magnifying glasses on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c?ref_=navm_hdr_cart

and I'd curious on any feedback anyone may have. But I've got tons of coins to sort and if I'm looking for varieties, my current setup is too cumbersome.
Thoughts?
JB
Pillar of the Community
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For very close up viewing, I use a loupe of varying magnifications.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn
Thanks but certainly your not examining a large number with a loop. Are you?
That just adds so much manual labor to the task. The method I'm using works to a degree but I'd much prefer something like the glasses I posted that I could look at every coin with. And if looking for varieties the picking up/ putting down becomes tedious and inefficient.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jbdcboy.... I use a $7.50 microscope that attaches to my cellphone. Admittedly, its not the greatest setup but does a sufficient job identifying RPM's, DDO's & DDR's.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38958 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a 14x jewelers loupe doublet to look through mainly Lincoln cents. I also have two usb scopes if I need more magnification as well as taking/posting photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin_rejector
Awesome. What kind of phone? And where did you get it? Do you have the name brand?
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jbdcboy.... Here is a link to the microscope I use.... https://www.amazon.com/NATIONAL-GEO..._top?ie=UTF8 ....

It has a universal attachment for cellphones, as it easily clips over the camera lens. I originally found it in the discount bin at a Cost Plus World Market for -50% off & figured I'd give it a go. Surprisingly enough, it exceeded my expectations & works extremely well for CRH'ing errors/varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38958 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price went up I see. Can you take and post photos with it?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3298 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a loupe for every coin. I find the need to be able to tilt and rotate coins too important on most coins to rely on a fixed set up and have never found strong enough magnifying glasses that worked.

I use a headlamp as a light source, with rechargeable batteries so it doesn't add to the cost of things. That way I can pick up coins in my left hand for inspection, and hold the loupe in my right hand full time.

But the standard jewelers loupes don't work well for me as they are too small diameter. I prefer the style used back in the day for inspecting photographic slides. They are larger and much easier to hold for long periods of time, with a slightly wider field of focus. 8X is my preferred magnification.

With this cheap and easy set up I can run through pretty much 500 circulated wheats an hour. That said, I'm not looking for every minor RPM on those, so I do go pretty fast. It also helps that I've pretty much memorized all the Lincoln cent doubled dies so I don't have to look at every device on every coin, just certain places depending on the date.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I use the loupe as in the photo, upside down from how you would use it to look at a slide. It's far easier.

Edited by tropicalbats
04/11/2021 1:27 pm
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin_rejector. 90x now that's what I'm talking about!!! My eyes feel better just thinking about that.

@tropical_bats
Excellent depiction! I
Wish I was already so well versed. I'm mostly sorting now with the thought of going back through later looking closer but the concept of double touch is making me crazy! Thankfully not a long trip!! #129322;
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awww they hate emojis here! :-)
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1.... Yes, the microscope allows me to 1) take/save pics to my phone & then 2) upload them online w/ a good wi-fi connection.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tbats I'm impressed with that set up! I never thought to use a headlamp. I usually use a small reading lamp, but your way does sound more effective!
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a microscope with a seven inch lcd screen, bluetooth, usb, and sd card for pictures. Simple and cheap. not so hard on the eyes from Amazon. hope you find what you need.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@minnimarine
Thank you. Found some great options that are kind of easy on the wallet. And at 1000x magnification, easy on the eyes as well!!!
Thank you
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05