Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help On Alexander The Great Tetradrachm, Real Or Fake?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 596Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EccthelionNume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and began collecting silver coins less than a year ago. I would like to ask for your opinion on an Alexander the Great Tetradrachm I own. I bought it recently on Ebay.
Its a Posthumous Pella mint, circa 275-270 BC.
Weight 16.13 gr
Size: 27 mm x 24,1 mm

Thank you all for your guidance

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38909 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5773 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. My 2 cents: Personally, I'd be concerned about several things. I don't like the way that, in the obverse picture, the edge at the top and at 1:00 looks like it projects/folds over the front. The extra metal around the ear is problematic. And the surface seems off - meaning the color of the "silver" (if that's what it is), which sort of looks like it's been applied, as a wash or paint, over top of a base core. I could be reading that one wrong - it's hard to tell from the photo if the dark spots are under or over the silver - but the impression I get is that the surface material has been scraped away in several spots to reveal the darker areas. (And the fabric doesn't seem, to me, to be that of an ancient fouree) Also, I wonder if the edge shots reveal some filing - which would also be concerning.
Edited by Bob L
04/11/2021 12:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1801 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Evidence of a seam on the edge and filing to mask it would make me very worried. I suspect it is a cast.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well since you bought it on eBay I did a search to find the coin and did. The seller says it is guaranteed for life and knowing the pedigree can help others decide about the seller which can be helpful to determine more information about the coin. So this post link below is for others who are helping you and this was not a coin of mine etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGS-of-M...224364464683
Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EccthelionNume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for you commentaries. I got concerned about the "color" that Bob L suggested so I did a little (just little) cleaning (some of you might kill me haha) and the dark spots are definitely over the silver. Excuse my inexpertice, but what does "filing" means in this context? Thank you all
Learn More...
United States
23516 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look right to me either. I agree with what the others had to say.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well since you said you did a bit of cleaning I thought I might show the eBay photo from the dealer and the one you posted side by side as that might help some folks. Again, not a coin of mine just helping out.

Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EccthelionNume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pictures after cleaning (dont kill me)

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK now encrustation may look bad on a coin to people, I understand that. But it is not just material cemented to a perfect coin surface. It usually is on top of a corroded part of the coin. So removing it can leave a person seeing pitting, which was there before, but covered by the encrustation. Hope that makes sense. Anyway after all of this I think you coin is real. And that is just my opinion. I might have left the encrustation myself but you have your own feeling on what you like to see on your coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1198 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A filed edge is always a red flag. It isn't proof in itself that the coin is fake but it needs to be explained. Filing can be an attempt to hide signs of casting. Looking through this seller's sold listings, I find that most of his raw silver has the same unusually rough, corroded look.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/11/2021 10:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17253 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A filed edge is always a red flag.

I would return this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence;

Can he return it if he cleaned this much encrustation from it?

Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EccthelionNume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your interpretations, I have found out there is a store in my city with the equippment to meassure the metals on the coin. When quaratine is over I intend to go there and will share what I find out.
Lousvillekyshop I really appreciate all of your comments, just for correction, the two pictures you are showing are the same but on different light settings, the coin was untouched until yesterday were I carefully removed the black stain on the 11 oclock in the reverse (which actually got removed pretty easily with a simple piece of cloth). I have realized by all the comments that there are some odd things on the coin but I cling on the possibility that is real (has Louisvillekyshop stated). I do not intend to return the coin.
Thank you all and sorry for any misspelling (im not native speaker)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05