Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mark On Kennedy Half Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 238Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lauralee1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been looking through Kennedy half dollars. Many of them have a spot made by a marker (red or black) right in the middle of the ear. I have found too many of them for this to be a one off by a lone collector. Does anyone know why someone would
do this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3923 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not 100% certain, but I'm thinking a Kennedy searcher has gone through them, marking them as they went. Don't know what the color differentiation means. A few years ago I was going through several rolls of halves and close to 20% of them had a heavy black sharpie mark on them. Some will say the marks are made by servers receiving tips. Not convinced that's the case given that halves aren't that heavily used in day-to-day commerce--especially when the marks were appearing on later 70s/early 80s coins.
Edited by ijn1944
04/11/2021 12:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4860 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is sometimes done by roll hunters in order to avoid searching the same lot twice. I'm guessing the different colors don't mean anything, but were done either by two different searchers or by the same person on different occasions.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've ran into a couple of rolls with many pieces marked also. More than a bit frustrating to see a streak of any sort across coins, much less an intentional one...
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05