Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The First Set For Collecting Coins In PCGS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 421Next Topic  
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  03:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two basic questions.
1) What is DCAM on PCGS servers?
2) What is the simplest set to collect in the PCGS libraries. I'm looking for something inexpensive and simple.
I already collect Barber dime, but this collection continues for more than 2 years and I have not collected even half. How can I dilute the collection ?
Learn More...
United States
99495 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DCAM is Deep Cameo, a description applied to proofs with very high contrast between deep mirror fields and frosty devices.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2) What is the simplest set to collect in the PCGS libraries. I'm looking for something inexpensive and simple.

Well, this hobby is as (in)expensive as you want to make it, which is nice. Are you looking at US or world? How about Morgan dollars? Indian Head cents? Wheat cents? Capped Bust quarters? British Half Pennies? All of these (and many more I haven't listed or thought of) have big, liquid markets with lots of buyers and sellers, so forming a collection wouldn't be a back-breaker or life's journey unless you wanted it to be.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must have put it wrong. I want to build one of the kits that PCGS offers. For example, the Proof set of 2000 or the Susan B. Anthony dollars BASIC SET, PROOF (1979-1981, 1999). Some of this, but this is just an example. What do you recommend?
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You were clear, I'm just not certain what PCGS "kits" or "libraries" you're referring to. PCGS grades coins. That's about it. They do offer some collecting accessories, and a registry that allows you to compare your collection with others, but no kits that I'm aware of. Do you have a link?
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm talking about the sets that PCGS offers. On the site, you can keep track of the collection by collecting sets and competing with other collectors. One of these sets https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/do...81-1999/2043
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a mistake not "kits", but sets PCGS
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those are the registries I had mentioned. They're not "sets that PCGS offers." PCGS isn't offering anything. What they call "sets" are individual collections of that coin type, like when you say you have a collection of Barber dimes, you have a set of Barber dimes. Calling it a "set" is their way of saying "someone's private collection."

If you were to have all your dimes graded by PCGS and then add them to the registry under your PCGS profile (you can't add ungraded or graded-by-other-than-PCGS), you will have added one more set to the existing 398 "Complete Barber Type Set[s]," making 399 sets (collections).

The whole thing is really a form of friendly competition, to see where your collection of a certain coin ranks with everyone else.

So, like I said before, just pick anything you're interested in, there's a good chance they have a place for it:
Dollars: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/u-...s/dollars/17
Indian Cents: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/u-...alf-cents/10
Etc.

Inexpensive and simple are terms entirely defined by you. A few minutes looking over set descriptions on any numismatic website will give you an idea of the possibilities (like this: https://coinweek.com/us-coins/coin-...er-dollars/) while scanning listings on eBay should give you an idea of pricing.
Edited by classic_coin
04/13/2021 12:18 am
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you understand. My English is very bad(. But what you are offering me now is not suitable. This will take a lot of time and a lot of money. I need something very simple. I noticed that US coins after the 50s cost about $ 10. I'd like something different. Such a collection will take very little money and little time, and most importantly, ease of search. I was thinking about collecting Proof coins of the year 2000 (the year of my birth).
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are just ideas. Proof coins from the year 2000 is much easy, but hopefully you mean more than just US coins from that year, since you can get all five for about $7.00

Proof sets from every country however, that would be something.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05