Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conservation By TPG Possibility For Seated Dollar Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 897Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this Seated dollar that is going to bother me until the cows come home. To me it appears that the reverse might have lain on a rubber band and got "burned" by the sulphur in the rubber band at some point in time. It may have been bundled too in an envelope and the sulphur sank through?
My images aren't all that great and if I run across it in the near future I will update the pictures.
It may be into the coin to some degree but might be improved. The scratches are exaggerated by the camera and lighting. It looks a bit better than the pictures present.

My questions are, do you think that a TPG could possibly fix this one up and which TPG would you recommend?
Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56645 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't reach the images.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/12/2021 12:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, they are in my CCF members photo album. From what I learned, cookies have to be enabled or something but I will upload them from here again for those who don't have that setting. Thanks Mr Frog!

And yes, pictures are taken through 2x2.

My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
04/12/2021 12:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can't reach the images.
For those who are using Chrome or Chromium based browsers (Edge, Opera, etc) and cannot see the CCF gallery images, please try this:

• Click on the padlock in the address bar.

• Click on site settings.

• Under Permissions, scroll down to 'Insecure content' and set to Allow.

• Reload the page and images should load.

This will only affect CCF. Mixed content will remain blocked on all other sites until you allow it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks (again) jbuckster for those instructions.
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
784 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks details as it is, so unless it's sentimental to you, I wouldn't really bother paying conservation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin looks details as it is, so unless it's sentimental to you, I wouldn't really bother paying conservation.

Agree
Pillar of the Community
United States
2932 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The black terminal toning has most likely etched the surface of the coin. My recommendation would be to leave the coin as is. You may consider selling the coin, and buy one you do like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3836 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the pics it appears the coin was cleaned/polished at one time. A quick dip might be the best way to go forward, not paying for TPG conservation on a coin that would probably only details grade anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that the coin has been harshly cleaned and conservation would not be a good investment.
Maybe you could make it a pocket piece. It currently has XF to AU details. It would have much better appeal as a VF coin with honest circulation wear. You would definitely get some attention when you pulled this baby out of your pocket!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll disagree with others to some extent. I think we all recognize the potential of the second guessing by the owner "what if..." self doubt if nothing is done. As such, as long as you recognize the money you pay may indeed be somewhat wasted, PCGS charges an exam fee of only $10 for Restoration. If they choose to not restore the coin, that's your cost, plus $38 grading and round trip shipping. If they do agree to restore it, the Restoration fee is only 3% of the determined value (but no less than $10) in lieu of the Restoration exam fee. I'm not familiar with NGC Conservation fees.

If indeed the coin is "Detailed", there's still some value in having it graded, as there's a market for graded Detailed coins, especially Seated dollars. I'm not saying the above will end up proving a positive financial result if the coin is indeed Detailed compared to keeping it raw, but if there is any financial loss, that is the cost of eliminating self-doubt and second guessing!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
04/13/2021 5:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to get this out and take a better set of pictures. I kind of forget what it looks like in hand. Thank you everyone with your comments.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
658 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Winesteven makes a good point. Looks like a candidate for exam/conservation.
You'll get your answer for a reasonable price and you can quit looking out the front door wondering when the cows are coming home.
Keep us updated on your decision/results.
smat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dug it out and haven't looked at it for a couple years. Going to get a couple good pictures up tomorrow and the original pics in post No 1 will also automatically be replaced as well.
This dollar is in worse condition than I remembered, definitely a damaged coin but I must follow through and update.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2263 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll argue against conserving. It looks like a nasty scrape on the rim near Liberty's head. The black grime shows in several places. The way it's packed around the date gives the indication that there has already been a lot of cleaning.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 897Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05