Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conservation By TPG Possibility For Seated Dollar Opinions

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 896Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9513 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These images I took this morning should enlarge if clicked on and also display all issues with this coin. A smaller version pair of images also were replaced in post No 1.

The bigger and better the images, the uglier the damage will appear. I have seen worse Seated dollars. There doesn't appear to be overall typical hairline scratches for a cleaned coin. The surface marks to me look like (mostly) circulation hits except maybe below that dark stripe in the field on the reverse.
I suspect that the "burnt" area once upon a time, was more complete as a solid black mark and this is what remains.
It is the only one I have and fills a Type Coin hole in my collection.

I inherited this coin so cost is not an issue, but I wonder what it would fetch if sold with these images and honest description?
Thanks.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
2263 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll guess $400 retail because it looks good from a distance. All the detail is there for a strong XF. It would make an excellent belt buckle coin on either side, but the condition and common date rule it out as a collector coin.

Liberty looks like she was pounded with a meat hammer.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/14/2021 10:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My answer would be to sell it and look for a coin in the condition you desire. 1872 is the most common date (representing about 1/6th of all Seated dollars minted), and that coin is not in gradable condition.

The lowest reported mintage (for a coin which is known to exist), occurs for the 1852 silver dollar. The mintage was a mere 1,100.

The highest reported mintage occurred in 1872 at Philadelphia, when 1,105,500 coins were recorded as struck.

Total reported production across all circulation dates is 6,487,747. Of this amount, the Philadelphia Mint was responsible for producing 5,465,463 coins.
Edited by usc96
04/19/2021 9:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One additional thought:

If you want to get a nice AU or low Mint State example, look for ones from New Orleans dated 1859 or 1860. Both turned up in bags when the US Mint finally decided to empty the vaults of its silver in the late 60s/early 70s. These are the two dates where you are able to get an affordable Seated Liberty dollar in AU or even low mint state.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 896Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05