Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This Error? Enquiring Minds Wanna Know (1986 Kennedy Half Dollar)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Just_Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any idea what kind of an error this is? The letters appear to go right off the edge, but inside the collar. This goes all the way around the coin (reverse only).
Any idea what it's worth, retail?

1986 P Kennedy half dollar (circulated)

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38962 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like a worn die issue to me, not an error.
Value 50˘
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3960 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree--die deterioration, well advanced.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like something akin to a Ridge Ring or Plating Ridge. As the dies are used past what should be their useful working life, the edge of the die becomes distorted and a ridge like this can form. It effects the field as well as any lettering in that area on the resulting struck coins.

While I have seen coins like this called an "error" by a Third Party Grader, they really aren't.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50800 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this is coin damage? Try placing another coin on that area to see if it fits?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Just_Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was reading a blog and found this about a coin in similar condition ....

"Letters that "run off" the edge of an in-collar strike are most often caused by a horizontal misalignment of the hammer die. On rare occasions, a first-strike counterbrockage will include peripheral letters that are cut off along the edge of the coin."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50800 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going by the fields moving towards the rim. That is what I noticed as different about this coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/12/2021 2:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5684 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mint error.

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1338 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05