Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Liberty Half 1918 S

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 638Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
493 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I like the coin, but it looks cleaned, obviously.

The reverse looks better, IMO.

The front looks spongy, is that ominous?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look cleaned to me. Beautiful original AU53. Hammer strike on this one. Congrats and pls don't try to clean it or otherwise improve it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2327 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look cleaned to me either. Nice eye appeal. I like it a lot. XF-45/AU50, leaning towards AU.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pausing on this one. I have questions, but don't have any opinion on grade here. I'm just not sure what to think.

The lack of detail in the central devices of the obverse doesn't match the sharp peripheral strike on the obverse or exceptional detail on the reverse.
The reverse shows evidence of heavy die clashing, but I cannot find any evidence of obverse clashing.
If the obverse die was polished heavily (and the left edge of the flag suggests this), why are the peripheral letters and design elements sharp and why are the central design elements weak?
If the strike is weak on the obverse, why is it sharp on the reverse?
Why is there luster on protected areas of the reverse, but not the obverse?
If the obverse die is an earlier die state, why is there clashing on the reverse, but not the obverse?

Thoughts?

EDIT: I know the 1918-S fairly well, and I know it frequently has weak central device obverse strikes. What makes me pause here is just how weak Miss Liberty's details are on this coin. I'm wondering if this was a partially grease-filled die?
Edited by fortcollins
04/12/2021 8:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15200 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I wasn't the first to comment on this coin is because I felt the same way as fortcollins . I just didn't know what to write . At this time I would like to be the first one to say it might be a fake , almost a very well cast with obverse devices like the lines in her gown virtually non existent IMHO .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of teen yeats seem to have washed out lines. Even slabbed ms grades are weak. Don't think it's fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's fake either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There would be no reason to replicate die clashing...so fake is off the table for me.
fortcollins nails it...grease filled die.
If this were mine...she would be replacing my current 18-S.
EF45
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15200 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't make a call of fake again , but it just doesn't look like a Grease Filled Die to me .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10069 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i dont think the coin was cleaned either I'm just not a fan of the obverse on this one and when you put in its slot thats what you see. I dont like the black stained area around the gown but the softness of components on the obverse match up to FC's assessment. I guess its a personal decision as to how it fits with the rest of your coins in the collection. I think the coin might net at XF45
Pillar of the Community
United States
2943 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like it may have been face down in the dirt or in an environment that caused pitting in the dress, arm and above the sun, then, the obverse was chemically cleaned to remove the contaminates.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56880 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say genuine, AU-50 sharpness, and if it was cleaned it was a long time ago.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 with possible environmental issues. Looks like some granular pitting on the obverse surface, so may have had a cleaning at some point.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this one is genuine. That said, every date and mint of the Walkers has been counterfeited. Most are one-look train wrecks, but the overly-sharp die struck counterfeits caught by NGC a few months back are worrisome.

One other possibility came to mind last night, as I was pondering this coin. What if this coin was struck near the end of the production year? What if the obverse die involved in the clashing split or was shattered? What if the San Francisco mint brought back a serviceable, but fairly worn, obverse die to finish the run, polished it heavily, and mated it with the strong reverse die?

That might explain the heavy loss of central design detail, the evident polishing lines on the flag, and the lack of obverse clashing. It wouldn't explain the strong obverse peripheral details.

Just some additional random thoughts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3481 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could also be an AU coin, dipped, and in an album for many years. Dark to light, starting at the rims, is a sure indicator.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5477 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the MS-65 examples in the Heritage Auction archives show very weak skirt lines. The OP's coin has AU detail but perhaps some surface damage, either over-dipping or ED from improper storage. If it's fake it would likely fool me. What's the weight? Should be close to 12.5 grams.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 638Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05