Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

196x Cent Struck On Split Planchet 1.8g Need Confirmation

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 568Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is the second one I'd like to confirm if it is a struck on split planchet of rolled thin.The weight is 1.8g

Edited by Chase007
04/12/2021 7:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, it looks like another split planchet before the strike. Congrats.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
196x could happened a full split of the planchet. Joke: "The cent train for the silhouette".

Congrat., very rare coins like this. I hope you are happy with your discovery. VERRY, VERRY RARE.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1931 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange - one more for discussion - not shoot the messenger....... Obverse weak but on Reverse both outsides of the Memorial stuck strong .........Ideas?
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
4703 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% split planchet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking split planchet before strike. Thanks, Doug.
http://www.error-ref.com/split_plan_before/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, yes there are similarities between this and the other one,this one with a little stronger strike on reverse and a bit heavier at 1.8g. Seller's pics didn't quite demonstrate the true nature of the errors but I had a hunch what they might be , so I took a chance and sure glad I did, they're pretty neat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4865 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Strange - one more for discussion - not shoot the messenger....... Obverse weak but on Reverse both outsides of the Memorial stuck strong .........Ideas?

My best guess: The obverse is struck in much higher relief. It doesn't take as much pressure to fill the memorial, which is achieved wherever it's backed by the obverse field.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50741 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the post strike lamination peel on the reverse devices, but a pre strike planchet split before the strike. Thus the weakness of the memorial, because it peeled later, on some areas. So I feel it is a before split and after lamination peel.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3292 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pair of nice splits you got, well done!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a spectacular coin!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone, your input is much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4865 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I feel it is a before split and after lamination peel.

I'm with you on the pre-strike split, but could you please explain how a lamination peel factors in? It looks to me like a straight-up split planchet that wasn't struck up where there wasn't enough pressure (i.e. behind the obverse devices where more metal is required to fill the die).
Just trying to understand what happened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4895 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool find! Looks to me like split before strike. Both examples you found are very nice!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50741 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The split planchet is caused on the cold rolling of the stock material. Imagine you are making noodles and a piece of the dough gets separated, and you later roll it back into the dough. If there was added flour on the piece being re-attached to the dough, it will not stick to the lump. Well on cold roll metal, the same thing happens, it is rolled in to the metal, but because it was not hot, it doesn't attach to the roll that was hot rolled. So this piece will be long because it was rolled on the metal. But when the roll is but with the blanking process, the lamination/adhered in cold metal, will be flat, but will not stay attached to the hot rolled steel. So during the blanking/upset process to turn it into a planchet, the metal breaks away. After the strike some of the lamination falls away and those blank areas on we are seeing had the metal fall off after the strike. Thus the bald areas on the reverse. That is what I feel happened to this coin. Split pre-strike and the missing lamination happen after the strike. I can't think of any other way these areas would be bald looking?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/13/2021 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4865 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a crude illustration of my interpretation:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05