Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 Wide AM, Need Some Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 415Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey y'all! I recently found this searching through some bank wrapped rolls and not sure what to do with it. Obviously the reverse has some significant corrosion/mold growing. The obverse is starting to show some of the same as well. It's such a nice coin otherwise. Have been doing some looking into possibly getting rid of the corrosion or at least stopping it and have seen people say either an acetone bath, soak in olive oil, or use Verdi-Care. I can't find Verdi-Care any where and am kind of skeptical on doing anything to the coin to begin with. Was just hoping to hear some experiences y'all have had with trying to do the same. Thanks in advance

Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, that looks like a good WAM.
The discoloration may just be gunk on the surface. If that's the case, acetone should do the trick and is the least intrusive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5682 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why you didn't show us the area of your question, the letters of AMERICA. The black that appears to be growing (centre area), is indeed enlarging, it is called black carbon and cannot be removed. Some of it is removable gunk (outside top area), but not sure why you'd want to (Never clean your coins). Doesn't look to be a WAM, but since there is not a closeup of that area we don't know. The best indicator is in the placement of the designers initials, are they close or far from the Memorial? Again, no closeup, so who knows?

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4705 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, hate the damage. It is a wide AM, the gap is right and even though you can't see the FG the proximity to the Memorial building looks correct as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congratulations on your find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2835 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! Pity about the minor damage however.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56894 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, acetone can't hurt, otherwise leave well enough alone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But look at the positive. Your eyes spotted the difference on this coin. So when you continue searching, you will find better examples. Keep in mind that the 1998 and the 2000's are the most common. The 1999 is the rare one to find. Don't forget to check the 1998-S and 1999-S for the close AMs.

These will be harder to find, but they should be worth a premium because there are only 3,000 total per die on these, where as the business strike cents could have as many as one million per die.

CoopHome : Don't forget to check on the 1998-S and 1999-S Proof cents for the close AMs.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it is a WAM, then congrats to you. I would like to see a close image of the 'FG' in relation to the Memorial and the WAM itself.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting harder to find these now a days. Had to look closely as that black spot makes it a bit difficult to see that the
"A M E" is equally spaced and the FG is near the memorial base. Nice find!
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the coin is circulated. simply washing it off isn't going to hurt anything if that's uncomfortable, use distilled water and give it a soak and pat dry.
use a soft "hair" brush even, I mean it's unlikely you are going to take it down out of AU and it's not MS to begin with, it could just be some dried milkshake or old mold or something from someones car cupholder.

You can do acetone, but it's not going to do anything for toning or actual staining. it just breaks up stuff on the surface. It's a $5 bill really no matter what you do to it short of knocking it down below EF40. Still a $5 bill if it was MS64 in condition as far as raw sales are concerned. can get a graded MS65 for around $25, and that's not likely to have been worth the costs to grade it.

I'd just clean it up so it doesn't get any worse and put it in my collection. Don't go to VerdiCare, or the other "dip cleaners" until you've exhausted the 7 pH range of distilled water soak, and the solvents like Acetone.

DO NOT look for recommendations on the internet, I see everything from laundry detergent, to baking soda to Lemon juice, vinegar, salt.... no, just no, none of those recommendations should be trusted at all. Most of them are either acids or alkalis that will damage the surfaces, or even worse abrasives.

Neutral pH is the Key to finding something that will clean it up without etching. I'd start with as plain as it gets, some distilled water, (also it's good to use this as a rinse after acetone or you can let the acetone evaporate, I prefer to rinse.

If Distilled water don't work, and acetone don't work, then I guess the next step would be xylene. I like to start with distilled water, and honestly, I've never gone beyond it, it does good enough, but sometimes with glues/adhesives the acetone or xylene is necessary to break up the adhesive. I don't think Adhesive is the problem here. I'm actually hopeful it's simply minor mineral deposits from sitting in hard water until it dried that are relatively new, or possibly the milkshake, and no exposed zinc or actual corrosion under it beyond some discoloration int he affected area.

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apiz13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate y'alls input. For those questioning whether it's a wide am or not that's not what I was here for. I have found enough of these now to know how to spot (A lot of that due to coops awesome pictures and info) Thanks again as always coop. And big kingdom thank for all those options as well. I like the idea of just using some distilled water. That's what I will try first. The more I look at the coin under a scope the more it seems like it is a type of gunk just on the surface of the coin. But we shall see. Thanks again everyone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05