Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Penny 1861 - Date Looks Strange?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
794 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

here I am introducing you of two super-flat members of the British predecimal penny family. I believe they spend almost a 100 years in circulation. Soemthing I noticed at the dates are, they seem to be struck different than each other. Could circulation might make the penny below's date look like this? Any opinions are welcome. Also for the fun part, let's grade them. :)

My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8730 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks as if the lower coin has received a hit at some time on the '6', and this was later worn down by a century in circulation!

There's some discussion about 1861 penny varieties here:
http://www.predecimal.com/forum/top...19f24f27f32/
You'll notice there is a comment saying that there is "little point looking at date spacing as far as the pre 1866 pennies are concerned... this is because there are far too many combinations as far as the pre 1866 reverses are concerned".
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
794 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I red the link you posted, thank you NumisRob. This was enlightening. I think I agree with you this being just an overly circulated coin.
My tradelist and some wanted items are here! : http://goccf.com/t/398127
Valued Member
United Kingdom
473 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ NumisRob I actually think it is a travesty that the date spacings on some years ( given that some have 1-2 or 3 variants) also some because of different reverse dies used on the same dates) are ignore and the fact that it is from a single die pairing which to me is more significant than the listed ate varieties on years with several die pairings. But it's that old chestnut if it isn't part of an authors collection it doesn't matter or has little significance. To me that is just ignorance. We have seen time and time again these date anomalies that were first ignored by the authors of books start to fetch high premiums. It should always be a case of documenting the coins and all their oddities and should be left to the collector to decide weather they are a collectable or not. You can't open a door and then close it because someone cannot be bothered to collect information on coins they don't have in their own collection.

In 2007 I had this same argument with CGS and blew their argument out of the water about anomalies not adding value to coins. They do and will do everytime. Thankfully they changed their policy on variety inclusion to the point now they list any change no matter how slight and that is how it should be. It is left up to ourselves to decide if it is something we would pay a premium for
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05