Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Starting A 3 Cent Silver Set

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,048Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8528 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, looking at the auctions in question, 2 are the same coin, bringing it down to 9 coins. And I can say I disagree on 5 of them, I only think 4 are AT.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a charming design and such an odd denomination, I can't help but be drawn to it...prices teach me a different lesson...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Might as well start a collection of 1913 Liberty Head Nickels.
just carl
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a charming design and such an odd denomination, I can't help but be drawn to it...prices teach me a different lesson...

Agreed!
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When our desires are confronted by reality.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to PCGS, a complete set in XF45 or AU58 condition would cost you $14K or $22K, respectively.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there an easy diagnostic to discern between proof and circulation strikes for coins struck from 1863 to 1872?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few thoughts:
It's a supply versus demand game. What you need is to increase the supply. Places like eBay lack sufficient supply. Hit the larger coin shows, work the bourse, and haggle. There is an adequate supply of the coins on bourse floors. They just don't appear in enough quantity online to create a market.
If you are committed to EF and higher, you will face a tough task. There are eye appealing F/VF examples that are respectable collector coins. On key dates, the price swing is huge.
Be patient. Avoid "gotta have it" syndrome.
Buy the book before you go hunting. The Flynn and Zack book is indispensable. Read it. Study it. Absorb it. Silver trimes are a risky set, and knowledge is essential.
Take the time to study the strike quality of each year and mint. Pick a date and mint, and eyeball every coin of that date and mint in a show. You will start to see patterns and the quirks that separate decent coins from great coins. When you see a great coin and the price is right, act.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3164 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there an easy diagnostic to discern between proof and circulation strikes for coins struck from 1863 to 1872?

That is a very astute question and one that at one time I was looking into as well. I decided to only collect (and complete) up to 1862 for business strikes and collect some of the Proofs, so didn't pursue reading up on that. However, I do recall running into some literature regarding your query, so it should be out there.

Personally, if I were to purchase an post-1862 business strike I would not want it to have any PL surfaces, but rather be lustrous. That would help set it apart and further "prove" it's not a Proof (but that still might not be proof enough).

I hope someone posts a link to an article on those diagnostics as I'm pretty sure one or more such articles exist.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips on the Flynn and Zack book (it's sold out everywhere - if anyone has a lead on one it would be much appreciated) and avoiding PL surfaces on post 1862 circulation strikes. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm finding the coins from 1851-1862 are pretty easy to acquire. The others not so much.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the Flynn and Zack book (it's sold out everywhere - if anyone has a lead on one it would be much appreciated)

Did you check https://harryedelmaninc.com/product...nn-zack-book
Pillar of the Community
United States
7935 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  02:39 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know Gary Rosner? If not PM and I will turn you on to him. The 2 & 3 cent coins are his specialty and he's a fair and honest dealer.

The Flynn/Zack "The Authoritative Reference on Three Cent Silver Coins" is really the only one out on the 3 cent silver coinage worth using. Kevin is a member here though he hasn't participated in a long time IIRC. He is member "KevinJ" but hasn't been around here at CCF since 2016, his email link might still work.

The book has been pretty hard to find for quite awhile now and it's only been out since 2011, they must not have printed many copies. Kyle Vick was the publisher & printer out of Roswell, Georgia, he used to work with J.T. Stanton when he was alive, Kyle might be another resource to finding a copy. Other than all the usual suspects to try like Charles Davis and David Fanning and putting in want lists with them and a saved search on eBay with email notification, checking in with Abe Books and Amazon regularly. You will probably have the best luck with eBay saved search. I've found a lot of out of print things that way and on the cheap from people listing them not knowing what they have.

Getting to those later civil war dates is going to be the toughest part, just finding nice examples even. A worthy set however and a challenge. Enjoy and good luck on your quest.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2ó variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Westcoin. I was able to pick up a copy of the Flynn book from Harry Edelman. I dont know Gary Rosner. Since I'mánew to yhis forum, I'mánot able to PM anyone here yet.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nevermind - I did a websearch and tracked him down. Thanks!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElmerFlick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few things Ive learned already:

1) Most all the dates from 1851 to 1862 are reasonably available including 1851-O and 1855 in Xf.
2) The 1854 seems more difficult but way less expensive than the 1855 in Xf
3) Greysheet prices are not meaningful. Especially for circulation strikes from 1863-1872. Some dealers claim they will pay several multiples of Greysheet for some of the rare dates.
4) Of the rare dates, 1866, 1870, and 1871 seem reasonably available but at prices about 1.5x greysheet.
5) Not an impossible set, but will take patience to find 4 of the rare dates.
6) What other set can you find circulation strikes with mintages ranging from 1,000 to 3,500 in xf for less than $3,500? If these were more mainstream coins like Mercury dimes or Buffalo nickels, I can only imagine what dealers would be asking....
7) The Flynn/Zack book is a great reference.
Edited by ElmerFlick
04/28/2021 8:55 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,048Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05