Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Worthless" 1883 Nickel?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,252Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  8:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday, I went to a LCS to see if could sell a couple of unwanted coins (instead of using eBay all the time).
To my surprise, the 1883 "No Cents" Nickel I showed was dismissed as "worthless" as "they made them by the millions" and "I sell them in bags wholesale". Suffice to say, I was very disappointed and left the shop.
What do you think? Is my coin "worthless"? And what should I do with it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3397 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the V nickels are my favorite of the Barber coinage the 1883 No Cents is widely available. A few months back I picked one in comparable condition to yours for around $12, but the dealer had about 10 more all around the same price. It's sadly not as collectible as the IHC or LWC. I in no way think that your coin is worthless,

For coins that have minimal value (under $20) many times I give them to a fellow collector. I gave away my last 2 No Cent nickels to my hairdresser and another to my brother in law. I'm actually looking for 1 for my daughters boyfriend. (Just saying).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins also made by the millions, 1883-S Morgans. And I don't think anyone would say an 83-S Morgan is worthless
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at least the price of silver bullion puts a floor under a Morgan dollar.
You think I should drop the coin in a Salvation Army kettle?
Edited by NumisEd
04/13/2021 8:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9678 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put it up for adoption. I'm sure one of the YN members would love to have it...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2332 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good idea!

I'm sure there's a number of new members that may not have one that would appreciate it. It's certainly not worthless
Edited by Ty2020b
04/13/2021 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth $5-7. What dealer said it had no value?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2583 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's worth $5-7. What dealer said it had no value?

No value? Worth at least 5 cents!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15205 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree to 5-7$ value .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1817 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To add a different perspective if I may.

If you have 14 of these coins and find it difficult to sell them, you probably would not be interested in having a 15th. To say it is worthless isn't fair, but to that dealer, it probably was worthless. Businesses buy items they can turn a profit on. No Cent nickels are not one of these items. He probably would have offended you if he offered $2, so he chose to offend you by saying it is worthless instead. Kind of ignorant of him to do...
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18445 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer already has more than enough for his inventory.
Thus, if he buys this coin off you, the money he has paid may take months or even years to recover for a profit in a subsequent sale. Cash flow is the lifeblood of his business.

Some collectors just keep on collecting with no intention of selling. I am one of them.
Where I have many duplicates of some significant value, I just group them all in a secondary lower valued collection. Eventually, the secondary collection will be eBay'ed or sold as a single job lot, or offered as a job lot at public auction.

Coin pictured does indeed have some significant value to a collector who wants it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56908 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$5 or so seems fair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They should have made these coins of silver. Then at least you could have gotten melt value for it.
So, Moral of the Story: never ever collect nickels and other base metal coins that are too common. If you must collect common coins, stick with gold and silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1131 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could throw this one in the trash can as well...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They should have made these coins of silver. Then at least you could have gotten melt value for it.
So, Moral of the Story: never ever collect nickels and other base metal coins that are too common. If you must collect common coins, stick with gold and silver. I could throw this one in the trash can as well...

That's really not the point here. Sorry Ed, you sound way to emotional on this one. I'm with you that the dealer was being crass, but I own many common base metal coins, and like them all! Collect what you like, not what someone else tells you is or isn't collectable. People collect bus tokens, I don't think that's interesting, but some people do.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether with or without cents, that's a 140 year old coin in pretty nice condition - not sure who deemed it worthless, I'm thinking at least $5 :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05