Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Worthless" 1883 Nickel?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,203Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To echo Grape in a way, I've always liked the No Cents nickel in my type set because it is reasonably high grade and low cost with a fairly nice design. I agree with others, I'd have said $7.

And sure, you could argue that base metals have no floor for their value, but what good is a floor when a nice Morgan goes for 10x the silver price? What good is the floor when a certain Buffalo nickel could go for over $40?

Coin collecting is all about who is interested in what, if it were all about the metals we'd all be bullion stackers and not rare coin collectors!

"Worthless" was a poor term for a dealer to use, but I could understand a dealer thinking perhaps "not worth their time as a business" for a lower value coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38884 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd,
I see you have a milestone coming us soon. Why not have a contest and limit it to young members only and make the prize or prizes this type of coin
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15188 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ NumisEd , there are a lot of Nickel collectors out there and I am one of them. Nickels have been around since 1866 with the Shield design to present day Jefferson's . We call them Nickels but the real term for then is '' 5-Cent pieces '' with only 1/4 composition being Nickel . The exception are the War Nickels of 1942-1945 with Copper , Silver and Manganese used for these years . Once again there are collectors for every variety of U.S. 5 Cent pieces ( Nickels ); Just a slight correction , not to slap you in the head .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3389 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bison nickels are better than Jefferson nickels
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3461 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whether with or without cents, that's a 140 year old coin in pretty nice condition - not sure who deemed it worthless

For what it's worth, I quite happily paid $7 for mine, and IIRC it was actually a little less nice than this.

But yes, this type was saved a lot and is thus relatively common in higher circulation grades (XF-AU). IIRC the 1883 With Cents is actually less common despite the higher mintage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see you have a milestone coming us soon. Why not have a contest and limit it to young members only and make the prize or prizes this type of coin.

That is an idea. Or maybe there is a "Lucky Dip Barrel" at a coin show where I could drop my unwanted (cheap) coins so kids can draw a mystery coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7879 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth anything? Crazy talk. Just because someone has a bunch of an item doesn't mean it makes all the rest worth nothing. I can see a dealer not wanting to purchase it, but to call your coin worthless is just poor manners. I'd avoid a cranky old dealer that talked like that, there are many other coin dealers out there that won't bad mouth your coins even if they aren't something they would buy. Heck we all start somewhere.

My friend Dwight started collecting low end Lincoln cents, in the .25 cents to $5.00 range, later on in life he purchased the finest known 1913 nickel, and wrote a check for the entire SS Central gold treasure, probably the single largest numismatic transaction ($50 million+) ever done in one swoop. He continues to purchase amazing items of numismatic value and history.

Every coin is interesting to someone, and to shut down an enthusiastic person collecting, just because your are cranky, or rude, is just plain wrong. Sorry the dealer treated you that way, find other ones to shop at.

Heck I have well over 300 1864 Two Cent Pieces and I still spend a few hours every week looking at as many more as I can and I keep buying them too. I will never have enough of them.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15188 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Heck I have well over 300 1864 Two Cent Pieces and I still spend a few hours every week looking at as many more as I can and I keep buying them too. I will never have enough of them.

Good for you .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7879 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-Bop I kind of have to since I'm trying to collect one of each die marriage. Ala, Sheldon/Newcomb set of Large Cents, or an Overton set of Capped Bust half dollars. Then on a few interesting ones I need EDS, MDS and LDS - oh the obsession's we have in collecting. But I wouldn't want it any other way.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Edited by westcoin
04/16/2021 08:44 am
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on Ed, You know better than that. Cleaned, not very valuable, but certainly not "Worthless". If you don't want it how about making a young child's day and giving it to them to spark an interest in the hobby. I'll bet when you were a child you would have flipped over receiving such a piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3686 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the problem with some coin dealers - they've got to be a wise apple (I'd use a different word but it's a family friendly forum). Rather than say, well I gotta tell you we get a lot of these so it's worth minimal value to me - under $5 - and I'm not really buying these right now. Ok, fair enough and thanks for your time.

But no, dealer has got to be a jerk about it and then wonder why no one seems to come into the store anymore and this dang eBay is killing things for us little guys.

No, you're killing things plenty good for yourself all alone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come on Ed, You know better than that. Cleaned, not very valuable, but certainly not "Worthless". If you don't want it how about making a young child's day and giving it to them to spark an interest in the hobby. I'll bet when you were a child you would have flipped over receiving such a piece.

That's why I wrote upthread that I might place the coin in a Lucky Dip Barrel for kids to find.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4115 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At my LCS people are always trying to sell things that have minimal value to the shop or at least way less than they were hoping for. I often note how they politely give the disappointing news the potential seller. The trick is to do it in a nice way, and it can be done.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good man Ed! I too have some cull coins that I am going to make sure get in the hands of a newly inspired collector or perhaps turn a child into a new collector. Just doing our part to keep the hobby alive.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is a 138-year-old silent witness to history and survived in better shape than most. None of us will look that good at 138. Even if the monetary value does not incentivize a dealer to buy it from you ("worthless" is callous and ribald in tone, which from a coin dealer is tragic because sharing passion and excitement for the hobby seems to be the most fun part of being a dealer), this coin has undeniable value. Make sure it lives with someone who understands and appreciates this value and doesn't need a dollar amount to know how much to treasure/like something.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05