Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Query About 1890 To 1941 3 Pence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 446Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  08:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sue here, sorry if am wrong forum posting.

I just wanted to know if my collection of 1890 to 1941 Three Pence was collectable. I know a few are Siver but there are duplicates ike a few 1917, 18, 19 or 1941.
But some are conscecutive.
1908 -1909
1914-1922
1931-1936
1940-1941

All are in good condition.

Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sue here, sorry if am wrong forum posting.
No problem, easy to move.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8515 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely worth keeping!

The threepences struck before 1920 are 92.5% silver, and those after 1920 are 50% silver. 1920 threepences exist in both alloys: the 92.5% ones are usually more pale and white while the 50% ones have a yellowish tone.

The actual value of the coins will depend on their condition and on the date - some dates are scarcer than others. From your photo it's hard to tell what condition they are in: you could post individual photos of each coin in separate threads and I'm sure several members would be happy to give you their opinions.

You may also like to consider buying a catalogue, such as this one:
https://www.coinpublications.com/pr...0-1760-1970/
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Numis! Can you recommend a forum I have 61 before 1920.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
590 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A jubilee portrait 3d dated 1893 is scarce and very saleable. Do you have one?
This is the portrait I mean:

Edited by Hogarth
04/14/2021 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

They look lovely - Even with that shot, I can see lustre.
I agree with all the above, a date run set is fabulous and in that condition you could see any duplicates and add more coins to it.

I think 3d coins before 1887 may be Maundy only, but could be wrong. Plus there are the 1937 to 1967 Brass 3d coins and after that the 6d series, a nice run that goes back to 1551 with very few interruptions.

Love your avatar too, recognise that piece of Endeavour off my country's 50 cents coin!

All some close up photos would be even better!

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8515 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you recommend a forum

If you post pictures or queries here in the UK section you should get a response! There are quite a few knowledgeable collectors of British coins here.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alas no! the 1893.

1890 What it seen in its time!.
Its the oldest coin I hsve. I know they are not worth much but love having them.

Got an equal 3 Pence colection to look through..

But my 1890

Sue
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8515 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very worn... but at least it's still silver!
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
467 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sue .The 1890 isn't in the greatest condition and would only return scrap value maybe even 1 and that would be the case for all .925 silver threepences if they are of similar condition and half that for the .500 silver threepences from 1920-1944. Unless they are the scarcer dates or in exceptional condition. To gain a feel for what is a good date or a normal date. Google as many dates and look at what the dealers are selling their coins for. It isn't so much that they are worthy of that price tag but it tells you if they are dates to look out for.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks zookeeperz and the other responders. Am getting a much better realistic feel for what I see and ignore Ebay, reading public domain Ebooks on UK coins and loving it! Luckily I dont see Coins when I shut my eyes like if I worked in a Carrot factory at night when I got home I just saw orange and blue background Carrots when I shut my eyes as I stared at them for 12 hours.
Am now on a US coin mission as have loads.

Sue
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post some more, I am sure others will be better.

Your 1890 is interesting, the Heads side would barely grade Good, but the tails would high Fine (split grade coin).

Sadly I agree, melt only but the melt of 1.1 grams of silver is about 70p now!

Plus it is also 130 years old! That is something.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05