Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Ancient Coin With An Elephant On It A Hannibal Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hannibalelephant to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I posted this on the main board a few days ago but had no luck and I thought it might be more of interest over here. I am a coin newbie so please bear with me.

I was recently in a classic 'old junk shop' run by an aged father and his son. It wasn't really that junky just a very mixed bag of all kinds of things, including several hundred old coins for sale, all of them marked with dates and place of origin in a way that suggested whomever had done it seemed to have some idea what they were talking about. It seemed to be the father, but he was quite old and not that communicative. There were a lot of Roman coins and various others. One that caught my eye was listed as Hannibal 218-202 BC, Carthage and it had an elephant on it. Being generally interested in the ancient world but in no way a numismatist I thought this was pretty cool and bought it. Later I googled Hannibal coins and saw that some had sold for rather large sums of money, and although I am almost certain I am going to be told the one I have is not the kind that is super rare, I thought i'd still at least sign up and see what you all had to say about it, if anything. I must say it has certainly sparked my interest in ancient coins though so I plan to try to learn more, but in the meantime does anyone care to hazard a guess as to the authenticity or origin of this coin? here are both sides as well as a comparison with a Canadian loonie - 26.5mm in diameter and 1.95mm wide - for reference.

I should maybe add that in the intervening couple days I have been scouring the web on my own and haven't found anything that seems to fit, not just for Hannibal but any other coin, except possibly this one? http://www.coinproject.com/coin_det...?coin=286260

And actually I guess I should also ask, having read some of the other threads, whether you think it is even ancient at all.

All comments welcome. Thank a lot.

Edited by hannibalelephant
04/14/2021 10:25 am
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hannibalelephant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going once, going twice, is there really nobody here who can help me out identifying this coin? Any thoughts at all...? all comments welcome...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unforfunately, a modern tourist piece.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/15/2021 4:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unforfunately, a modern tourist piece.

Agreed. That patina looks faked and you can see the cast seam on the edge just above your thumb.

If you are interested in Hannibal and the Carthaginians, you can pick up real coins from the 2nd Punic War era for US$50 or more depending on the coin. These usually have the goddess Tanit on the obverse and a horse and palm on the reverse.

Don't let the worthless tourist copy get you down. You can find a real one for a relative pittance that's guaranteed authentic at VCoins.com.
Here's mine:

Edited by jskirwin
04/15/2021 9:56 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13600 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been scouring the web on my own and haven't found anything that seems to fit, not just for Hannibal but any other coin, except possibly this one? http://www.coinproject.com/coin_det...?coin=286260

Yes, I was thinking that it looked suspiciously like the elephant from a Caesar elephant denarius.

I would concur with Kushanshah: sadly, this is a "tourist copy", or rather a "tourist fantasy" with no actual ancient coin looking like this.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
5772 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have been scouring the web on my own and haven't found anything that seems to fit

Your reverse pic is upside-down. From the fake reports:

Several examples of a fantasy cast piece in base metal and different patinas, imitating two denarii of Julius Caesar, but without legends.

Obv: Elephant advancing right, trampling on horned serpent. (cf: Craw. #443/1; CRI #9; Syd. #1006; RSC #49)
Rev: Aeneas walking left, carrying Anchises and the Palladium. (cf: RSC #12, Craw. #458/1, Syd. #1013)
Edited by Bob L
04/16/2021 08:20 am
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hannibalelephant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha, ask and ye shall receive! Or maybe 'careful what you wish for'. Still, I do appreciate everyone's comments and am glad to know the truth even if it is somewhat disappointing. Oh well, so much for impulsive ancient coin purchases. If - and hopefully when - I buy my next one I will do so only after much more research! Thanks again...
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05