Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Silver Proof Set Lincoln Confusion ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 433Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up two 2007 Silver Proof Sets yesterday for a whopping $20 each. Looking close at the Lincoln it seems it may be possibly at the start of "zinc rot" in the sealed set or some delamination possibly ? Tough to see true color from the pictures but has a "blueish hue" around the edges of alot of the reverse. Hoping someone can tell me what's the name of what is going on with it. Thanks in advance.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39414 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not zinc rot...yet. Split copper plating.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John 1 as always thanks just didnt know the proper term. Hope it does not cause damage long term to the others in the sealed set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4324 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Split plating, yes. Should be able to mitigate potential zinc issues by keeping the coin in a low humidity, air-tight environment. Mint packaging isn't necessarily air-tight. Is that a discoloration 'spot' on the memorial building?
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Sir it is
Pillar of the Community
United States
5989 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, spilt plating, zinc rot soon to follow (there is no stopping it, sorry).
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1720 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to agree with above statements.

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Pillar of the Community
Canada
825 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jin put the point. Those slab even air tide do not mean vacuum. Mean when they close, they close with air inside. The air contain H, O, C, and in California iodine and sulph. Inside of the slab different temperature will produce ionization and oxidation, mean any small default, microscopic also will be the seat for those irreversible oxidations.

The solution is a vacuum slab, but because of the cost the mint will never introduce. They sell perfect product. So you buy, you are responsible for the future. Like you buy a car: After you are in charge of the maintenance.

The spots on the coins, I presume to be an reaction of the iodine. Without invasive cleaning is no way to take out.
Edited by silviosi
04/14/2021 10:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all know the Lincoln will be toast over time. My main concern is will it cause problems with the others over time in the plastic slab? As in should I break it to save them? Odd question I know
Pillar of the Community
Canada
825 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to complete this. Here in Canada we have with silver from mint the problem of yellow. Here I proved already is caused by the fact that they plating the dies with Ir (iridium), and his oxide is yellow. They will not change. Before they strike 120 K with a die, now go till 220K.
Edited by silviosi
04/14/2021 10:34 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05