Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Golden Coin(?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 750Next Topic  

Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Creative1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I inherited from my uncle a coin which looks like an ancient one, but have no clue what it actually is. It weights a bit more than 16 gramm. I live in a small town in Ukraine and I don't think we have any experts here or at least I couldn't find one. Could you help me with that? If the pictures I made are not enough maybe you can give me a hint on what I should do to evaluate it.

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Valued Member
Netherlands
118 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Medusa head with tuna fish on the obverse. Don't know much about these but look here for a start: https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/...cient-coins/ (you have to scroll down a bit)
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Creative1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!

I am completely new to this field and would be interested in selling the coin. Could someone roughly estimate the price?

Can you also give me advice of how to sell it:
- Where can I find a potential buyer?
- Are there any auctions which I should consider?
- Would it be easier to sell it from Germany? I have a friend who lives there and who can do organizational things if necessary.
- Would I have to pay any taxes?
-Would I need to make any official expertize to get some papers proving the authenticity of the coin? If so, where can I go with this? If not, what is the normal procedure?

Sorry if all my questions are noob. I will be really grateful for any help here
Edited by Creative1
04/14/2021 5:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4142 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing is that you have to attribute it, and determine if it is authentic. The world of ancient coins is filled with fakes. We have some experts here who can give you an opinion as to the attribution and likely authenticity of the item, as much as can be done without having the item in hand.

Have patience and someone is sure to tell you more.

One thing you can do is to determine the density (specific gravity). All you need is a fine thread and a good scale. From the density you can determine an approximate percentage of gold (or it is not gold at all). If the item is gold then it is a good sign but not by itself prove authenticity. There are scanners to determine if something is gold, but there may not ben any in your small town.

Secondly, in some countries there are rules about buying and selling ancient coins.
Learn More...
United States
19641 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@create, first welcome to CCF. Second, can you please add a couple pictures of the edge of this coin? I'm especially interested in the area around 5 o'clock on the obv (near the tail of the fish). Thx.

Also, I'm going to move this thread over to the ancients subforum as this seems to be from that time period (at least purportedly).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5884 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legit Kyzikos staters go for between around a thousand dollars to tens of thousands. I've never seen one with the incuse side looking the OP coin, however. And the overall fabric doesn't match what these usually look like...
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has a more-than-passing resemblance to the first coin here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/c...sp?vpar=1684
Learn More...
United States
23561 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion a very poor modern cast replica. Note how the reverse mold is considerably smaller than the obverse mold, creating a shelf! Compare the fabric of the op coin with this genuine example which hammered for 13,000 a few weeks ago.
https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotv...54dc99030702
Edited by Kushanshah
04/16/2021 02:36 am
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Creative1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all. Thank you very much for the replies!

I took the coin to a jeweler who said it's gold with the fineness of 600.

I also attach the photo from the side

As I don't have the knowledge of the terms and as English is not my native language, I am afraid I didn't completely understand the post by Bob L. Could someone please explain me the meaning of the phrase
"one with the incuse side"

Kushanshah, thanks for sharing your view. How would you you estimate the probability that it is a modern replica? Are you confident, or is this rather a guess?
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Creative1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more pictures in a different light. Maybe it helps

Learn More...
United States
23561 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know very little about this type, but my first impression was that it looked like a cast coin. From the side images I see what looks like a casting line. Just from your pictures I don't feel that we will be able to say whether it's genuine or not. Your best bet is to take it to museum that has an ancient coin exhibit and would be able to examine it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1239 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel confident that your coin is modern based on my general understanding but I am not an expert on this specific type. You may wish to contact one of the major auction houses for an expert opinion. Contact information for Classical Numismatic Group (CNG) can be found here:
https://cNGCoins.com/ContactUs.aspx
Edited by Kushanshah
04/16/2021 5:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming all the above is true, based on today's gold price (US$1773), its weight of 14g, and the jeweler's claim that it's 60% solid gold (14k) then the scrap value of it is about US$500.

That's more money than I ever got from any of my uncles.

Of course if it was authentic it would be in the US$14-18k range. Given the discrepancy, I would have it authenticated by an expert. Since you are in Ukraine you could approach one of the auction houses in Austria, Poland, or Germany who specialize in ancients. These can be found by checking out https://www.numisbids.com/

Hope we are wrong!
Edited by jskirwin
04/16/2021 5:54 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 750Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05