Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Holder Advice Wanted - Best Place/Brand To Buy Online

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
71 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  04:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there - 2x2 cardboard coin holders are hard to come by where I live (rural New Zealand) so I'm resorting to ordering online from overseas.
I've tried quite a few brands (staple type) so far and found...

* the European ones, such as Lighthouse and Importa, are nice but they're expensive - worth more than many of my coins lol.
* the Chinese ones I've tried are thin (more like paper than cardboard), don't line up when you fold them, and the cardboard is too glossy for writing on. But the price, even with postage, is great.
* the US brands (BCW, Cowens, etc) miss a few key sizes - I guess they are designed for US coins only - but are otherwise fine and affordably priced. The catch is, they pretty much double in price when you add postage from the US.

One seller on ebay, timer6256, seems to do a good deal if you buy in bulk (US$44.45 for 1000 plus US$32.38 postage to NZ). I'm not sure what brand he sells though.
Any tips for good brands/sellers? Or advice on avoiding eye-watering postage bills?
Many thanks,
pdg
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38958 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you said you live in rural New Zealand, but are there any coin shows you could attend anywhere near you? I have bought coin supplies through the mail and it is a hit or miss kind of thing. I prefer to buy in person.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
New Zealand
71 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree John1, it's been very hit and miss so far! Some of the holders I've bought have been rubbish (luckily those ones have been inexpensive). Frustratingly, some sellers use stock photos rather than images of the actual product they sell.
I know of a coin shop about 4 hours' drive away, but the nearest one catering to my interests is about 16 hours' drive. So a bit too far to my liking...
Valued Member
New Zealand
71 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, sorry John1, I read coin "shops". Same thing applies to coin shows though. But I will keep a better eye out for them just in case...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38958 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be a bit of a drive to go to a coin show or coin shop, but you really only need to do it once in a while as long as you buy a bunch of supplies at one time to justify all the costs involved, like gas and meals for a day trip.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a temporary fix to your problem, my approach would be to use
clear acetate sheet recovered from food containers. Cut the sheet into 100mmx50 rectangles and fold in half. Place the coin inside the fold and staple together.
Small self adhesive stickers can be used to write id information pertaining to the coin inside.
Occasionally, with more valuable coins, I use these as inserts, and put them inside standard 2x2 Mylar/cardboard flips to provide extra protection to the coin. Very thin Mylar provides very little mechanical protection.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried Nordfrim? In philately (my primary hobby) at least, they're famous for their selection of supplies difficult to get State-side, and they have free worldwide shipping on orders of at least 175 Euro / 175 USD / 140 GBP (or equivalent). It's a enormous (in hobby terms, anyway) Danish company.

https://www.nordfrim.com/accessories/coin-storage

Edited by classic_coin
04/15/2021 08:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38958 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you a member of our sister site?
John1
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add classic_coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you a member of our sister site?

Maybe...
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05