Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice Please On Buying A Polish Sigismund III Quarter-Thaler Or Similar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 144Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8504 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  2:29 pm Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!

I've been amazed by some of the Sigismund III portrait coins that have been posted on the "How Far Back Can We Go?" topic. They are so much more skillfully engraved and better struck than most British coins of the same period, and I've decided I'd like to add one to my collection.

I've been looking on eBay, and prices seem to be around £50 - £70 for a quarter-thaler in about UK Fine condition. Is this a fair price to pay, and what are the pitfalls to avoid? And which denomination is the best? Are Chinese forgeries a problem?

Thanks everyone!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4645 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As best I can tell, modern forgeries are not a problem for this type (variousy called an Ort, or 1/4 thaler) from Sigismund III (there are lots of forgeries of Polish Thalers, and on some rarer 1/4 thalers from later kings).

For that budget, you are likely talking about either an example from the Bydgoszcz (Bromberg) mint 1622-24 with the 3/4 length portrait of the king and Polish-Lithuanian arms reverse, or 1623-26 from the Gdansk (Danzig) mint with the shorter bust, and the Gdansk city arms reverse.
The latter type were often better struck, but I think tend to be a bit more expensive.

Other than eBay, I can recommend the weekly (Thursday) auctions at WCN. Their commission on these auctions is only 10%, they accept paypal (for an additional percentage), and they ship by registered mail for 25 PLN. You may get a better coin for your money there, though opbviously you need to take the fees into account. Here is a link to a search in their archives for 1623 which is a common year for both types so you can get a feel for selling prices there https://wcn.pl/archive?q=polska+ort+1623.

Just wait till we get to the Renaissance portrait and sword-wielding eagle on coins of Sigismund I in another month

Edited by tdziemia
04/15/2021 4:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8504 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, tzediemia, that's really helpful!
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 144Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05