Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar "Blotch" ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 332Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gretchen531 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very New here...hope this isn't a stupid question, but I have never seen this kind of texture under a letter on a coin. The coin is in otherwise great shape and the "T" appears to have been stamped over it. Was this simply a silver clump on planchet? Thanks!
(the "L" is also on a splotch)

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9641 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Did you check to see if it was glue or a like substance.
Sometimes soaking it in acetone for 24 hrs will remove it if it is.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gretchen531 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JimmyD, I have read to avoid cleaning old coins. But, maybe I'll give it a try.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3877 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only acetone--let it soak, don't rub or scratch. Acetone from home improvement stores is recommended, not nail polish remover.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gretchen531 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good to know...thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

That was my first thought as well - glue.

The acetone bath will help greatly.

Also,
Quote:
hope this isn't a stupid question

Here there is no stupid question - that is how we learn, If you don't ask, you won't get the answer you are looking for.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50622 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kind of looks like that.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking half...20 min. bath would probably clear this up.

to CCF...good luck on future finds, have fun and keep asking...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gretchen531 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THANK YOU SO MUCH Everyone !!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, Gretchen! What else do you have to show us?
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 332Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05