Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 V Nickel, Copper Washed?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 247Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  5:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is probably PMD, perhaps someone's attempt at making a racketeer nickel but I wanted to get a opinion from the learned of the community. Sorry the pictures aren't clearer. Lots of copper showing on both obverse and reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5229 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several well-circulated Liberty nickels with a similar appearance. Not sure what the early 20th century (stagecoach) version of a "coffee cup holder" coin would be, but that's what this is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56734 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of environmental damage for sure. Buried for some time?
Learn More...
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have several well-circulated Liberty nickels with a similar appearance.

Me too! Mostly on the lower condition ones.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4378 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ halfamind..."stagecoach...cup holder"....I'm thinking spittoon cup holder...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First let me say that I truly value the opinions and expertise I have found on this site. Some issues with coins present more of a learning curve than others. I was doing more research and I discovered that PCGS one used the term on slabbed coins "sintered planchet" to describe this type of condition as an error. The term was incorrectly used and they have since replaced the term with "Improperly Annealed". From my understanding this occurs when copper dust adheres to the surface of the planchet during the heating and annealing process. The slabbed coins I have seen labeled as such exhibit the same qualities as this nickel, especially the blotchy appearance on the reverse of this coin. Now I have yet to find another example on a Liberty nickel but I see this on Jeffersons, clad quarters and clad dimes as well. On the clad coins it appears to be more of a copper toning, often referred to as "Copper Washed" but on the nickel coins it is very close to what I am seeing here and labeled "Improperly Annealed". I would think that if it were environmental damage, there would be corrosion or other such problems which I am not seeing here. Your thoughts?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think just plain old ED - maybe from the ground as Coinfrog suggests.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New