Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Cant Remember Where To Go For Exact Error Type

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 519Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wanting to see if theres a way that if I see something to identify the type of error it is... I just wanted to see of what ways there are. Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, you could post here and we will try to help. Otherwise, there are several good websites to do your own research like error-ref. com and cuds-on-coins.com.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like for example how to find a die crack on a coin based on the year for that coin. Penny for that matter. That would then show me recorded errors on that category
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look a database of this you will never find. die crack happened, do has big premium? NO. In those days a die strike around 120k to 150K coins from 6 or 7 bill at a average rate of 750 by minute, normal that the surface will crack at the end of life. Make your math. could be something trace? Varieties, DD's yes but the rest is no interesting.

Example: You offer me to buy a coin an you say is a die crack. My response will be : So what? No premium.
Edited by silviosi
04/16/2021 12:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  01:46 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For interesting die cracks on coins as well as primarily CUDs try http://cuds-on-coins.com/

Quote:
silviosi: If you look a database of this you will never find. die crack happened, do has big premium? NO.

Example: You offer me to buy a coin an you say is a die crack. My response will be : So what? No premium.

100% Completely and respectfully disagree. As to the database See my answer above, that website has a very extensive listing of die cracks on coins from all over the world. A good die crack error on the right coin can bring a tremendous premium. I personaly have paid upwards of 5 times bid or more for a particular die crack or cud coin. Many of us collect them and if you watch on eBay in certain series the coins with die cracks, cuds, and other die errors often sell for a large premium. In fact over the past year I was out bid at two major auctions on coins due to competition against another bidder over a coin at a large premium over a simple die crack.

Here is a small example, if you were to pass on buying this coin, an 1869 US Two Cent Piece, because of the die crack at the date, then you passed up on a $100+ premium in Very Good grade and up to $1000+ in Mint State condition. I'd say that is worth not only knowing about but to actively look for them. I just purchased a PCGS slabbed VG8 for $110.00 not long ago.

Or how about one of these Morgan dollars, with a large die crack?

That is the Scarface 1888-O Morgan dollar VAM 1B3 and that very specimen without the crack would sell for around $65.00 to $85.00, however, because of the die crack, this exact coin (in the photograph I uploaded), sold at Heritage #1223 ANA Signature Auction, held in Chicago on August 16, 2015 this 1888-O Morgan dollar was Lot #4188, and it sold for $18,800.00 - all because there was a very interesting die crack, and only for that reason. No premium huh?

Are there minor die cracks that won't bring a premium? Absolutely, however I would venture to say more than half of all the collectors enjoy collecting them and find them interesting. It's just wrong to say there is no interest nor that they don't bring any premium value to a coin with one.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Edited by westcoin
04/16/2021 02:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2848 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value all depends on the degree of the anomaly and the collector's desire to own it.

I personally like die cracks that follow and even sometimes enhance the design of the coin. I also like shattered die strikes with spider webs of die cracks.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When die cracks look like this it's worth more than zero!
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all your responses. As for errors what is the best way to find the assigned id to the error type of its kind. Perhaps for something like DD RPM's etc. So that if I find an error I can refer to which one exactly it is or if its even on file persay.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.varietyvista.com/ Is a good site for Doubled dies and Rpm's
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin I agree with you die cracks are collectable and hold a value
Pillar of the Community
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you also are in need of a set of Cherrypicker's Guides (2 volume set) they are out of print at the moment and any day the new edition will hit the shelves, hopefully before summer is over. Don't pay the crazy prices for the 5th & 6th editions people are asking on eBay. I actually sold my copies off because it was crazy they had run up to $200 per book. The 7th edition should be around $35+ per volume. and well worth every penny. I'd say the first volume )which covers the Half Cent through Jefferson nickels Vol. 2 covers the rest of the higher denomination coins.

JT Stanton and Bill Fivaz created these (JT Stanton sadly passed away in 2018) and with them created one of the most interesting and vibrant parts of US coin collecting. I met them both years ago in the 1980's when they had just started writing these books, I don't think they even had an idea just how popular their book would become to coin collectors.

That's JT Stanton (left) Mike Ellis (Center) and Bill Fivaz (Right)

Taken at the release party at the Whitman Publishing Table at the ANA World of Money show in Denver, Colorado 2006. Mike is a good friend of mine and a top contributor to the CP Guide, as well as being the past CONECA president and Current ANA Governor.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry not to respond but I was busy to finish the chart of Off-Center. Many different diameters so took 3 days of calculus.

I agree with all's from the point of view: "Gustus no disputandus." Mean the taste you do not never discuss.

For me crack die is a failure of the material, not a variety or a striking. Just for this I say; for me has no value. Could happen any time for many reasons. Me and my friends we collect and we look for varieties, for DD's or relative plate defaults. Anyway is good for me to know and I will put here for sell those kind of desired coins, and you can give what you want and will be accepted.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad this post helped some of u and well thanks for the advice on this. Since some of u might be familiar with off center calculating id like to learn more on that too. Also thank u all for your responses they have been very helpful.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New