Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Washington Silver Quarter.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,061Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it called a "Mint Error"? Seems to me that implies a mistake or accident. If the Mint purposedly used 1964 silver planchets to strike 1965 quarters, to finish up the "left overs", then it cannot be a mistake.
Perhaps a better term would be "Rarity" as there are not that many 1965 quarter struck-on-silver?

(edited typos)
Edited by NumisEd
04/16/2021 5:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. It was accidental. The hypothesis is that silver planchets stuck in some of the tote bins, then loosed up and went through with the cupronickel batches.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4530 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WHile silver quarters were minted into 1965, they were not intended to be dated 1965. Any quarters struck in silver that are dated 1965 are errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice catch!! I'm jealous..

Congrats to you.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
1768 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!!!

Cool coin.

I've always wanted one of these and the 1964 clad quarter.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cladking, you are very well versed on modern coin.

How many of these 1965 silver quarters, dimes and 1964 cupronickel clads are out there, you think?

Seems the numbers are anywhere from 10 to a few dozen on this quarter. I'm curious. I would have bought it anyway, because the pricing is pretty stable on them and I really wanted a silver quarter from my birth year.
Edited by DoubleEagle20
04/17/2021 9:13 pm
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kaxaba to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Awesome!! I find so many 65 Washington's always hold my breath and flip to the side haha
Pillar of the Community
United States
1768 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How many of these 1965 silver quarters, dimes and 1964 cupronickel clads are out there, you think?

Seems the numbers are anywhere from 10 to a few dozen on this quarter. I'm curious. I would have bought it anyway, because the pricing is pretty stable on them and I really wanted a silver quarter from my birth year.

I used to keep count and never got over "8". However some very knowledgeable folks have told me there are at least a dozen and as many as "18".

1964 silver dimes are similar. There are no clad '64 dimes and a single quarter. I once made an offer on this quarter but it was way too low. Now it would sell for far far more. There are other oddballs like a couple of '71 silver half dollars and a '77 silver half. There's a Philly mint Ike 40% proof. There are probably several mules of different reverses on dated obverses. There are lots of clads on wrong stock planchets and some of these are even common.

There are quite a few very interesting and rare moderns but the '65 silver quarters are among the most widely known and most desirable.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx all of you for the congrats!

kaxaba keep looking. I do as well still. It's easy! Watch the dimes as well. If you buy junk 90 pct silver, especially watch.

Clad, I would agree the '65 silver quarter is definitely popular, only second to one other transitional error...the 1943 copper cents.
Don't forget the 1974 and 1977-D silver clad Ike errors. I would love to eventually have 1974-D silver clad Ike.

I really need to start weighing my 1965 halves. I have heard rumors for quite a few years that there were 90 pct errors amongst the 40 pct ones.

Edited by DoubleEagle20
04/18/2021 02:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7082 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,061Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05