Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 S Proof Ike Before/After Acetone Wash

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 524Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  11:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recent acquisition. I just couldn't take the cloudiness so I busted it out and gave it an acetone washing.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice results but, You left out the most important thing....How long did you let it soak?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is impressive. I too have a large $5 Bahamas proof coin that is sterling and it is starting to haze and spot but not as bad as your Ike. Can you give me the details of exactly how you treated your coin please?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3948 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty decent result. I did the same with a proof Kennedy half a few years ago. While the outcome didn't lead to a perfect looking proof, it was much improved. I left it in fresh acetone for two full days.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mere soaking did not have any significant effect on removing the haze. I ended up using an acetone soaked q-tip and dragged it across the surface like a mop. Make sure your q-tip doesn't contain any plastic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15200 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering what would happen with a 2 second dip in E-z-est and then an immediate soak in Acetone . Any volunteers ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4821 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful results. I'm shocked that the q-tip didn't leave scratches. Proof coins scratch if you just look at them funny.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56880 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7137 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

My local coin shop owner, and respected dealer of many years, used to dip these in E-Z-EST for a second or 2 and thoroughly rinse. Same results. But you cannot over dip with acetone.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
04/16/2021 10:29 am
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beautiful results. I'm shocked that the q-tip didn't leave scratches. Proof coins scratch if you just look at them funny.

I thought this might come up as a voiced concern after I posted my reply about the q-tip. I soaked the q-tip to the point that the cotton was like wet mush - almost disintegrated - and then made sure it stayed wet when pulling it across the coin surface. Sort of like a tiny wet mop. I did apply some light pressure near the rims and had to go over it many times to get the residue off of the coin rather than allowing it to re-settle. I'm guessing I may have put some scratches on it but I still prefer the result over the original condition. You'll note that the process did lighten the tarnish on the reverse left between the eagle wing and the stars a slight bit but did not eliminate it. I stuck it in a flip when I was done - didn't even try to save the original packaging
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you kept the coin submerged in the acetone while you gently "mopped" it? And after removal from the acetone, did you just let it evaporate or blow dry with compressed air or anything? Do you think a cotton ball would be just as effective? I am thinking a glass container with a soaked cotton ball in the center to rest the coin on while I gently swab the one side and then flip it over to do the same. Boy I really hate to mess with a proof coin but considering that the haze makes it an impaired proof anyway, what do I have to lose.
Learn More...
United States
99353 Posts
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assume you kept the coin submerged in the acetone while you gently "mopped" it? And after removal from the acetone, did you just let it evaporate or blow dry with compressed air or anything? Do you think a cotton ball would be just as effective?

I did a combination of mopping it submerged and laying it on a paper towel and mopping ensuring the q-tip stayed saturated. I suppose a cotton ball might work but I think a q-tip gives better control. I let it evaporate and used an air puff ball to blow any fibers off. I kept that up until I stopped seeing improvement.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy, Thanks for the information. I have to get some fresh acetone, take some before pics of the coin I intend to treat, treat the coin as you have and post the after pics. When I do I will post it as a follow-up to your thread. I can only hope that it works as good for me as it did for you but I take full responsibility for my actions either way.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 524Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05