Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 - 1967 Which Coins Are The Most Difficult To Grade Based On Images?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1323 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yes, which series or sub series is it?
we all often notice some reservation, or suggestions that it is hard to grade from images. comments are: Oh get us better pictures or similar.
and often a member says: that is without daubt a MS.. or G... and makes a solid statement of a grade.
I have often experienced after having bought a coin on seeing images only, that I was very disappointed when I finally had the coin in hand. Very few times the surprise was pleasant,
What is your opinion on this subject?
CANADIAN and Can provincial coins only please?
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert on Canadian coins but I feel like these would give me an aneurysm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geo 5th five cents. People just do not understand how hard it is to grade in hand let alone by an image!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3570 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, almost any coin that is supposedly UNC, I really can't tell from images, because the photography and lighting can make 2-3 point differences and maybe more if scratches or cleaning took place. I think that Newfie coins and Geo 5 cents also tough.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with George V five Cent.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Canadian series . George V Five Cent Nickels first , closely followed by
George VI Five Cent Nickels . Both have strike issues .
A third series that causes issues Edward VII silver coins
dated 1902 1907 , the 1908 - 1910 Ottawa issues are generally
much better strikes than the earlier London and Heaton coins .
The grading companies are all over the road map on the above
series . You could submit the same coin 4 times and get 8 different
opinions ( sarc intended ) .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great reply Pacificoin, in the George VI series I find it's much tougher to grade the 1937-42 five cent coins (many weak strikes).

Cheers, Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05