Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are World Coins On Ebay Overvalued?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 864Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was watching this coin ebay and was astounded by the price it sold for:

World coin catalogs from a few years back priced the coin at around $40-$60 in the condition it was in, and that might be being a little generous. But to sell for $130+tax! I want to ask any of you if you guys and gals think that some of the coins on ebay are a little over valued?

One thing I have noticed is that certain coins may be sold at prices higher than expected based on how often the online vendor has that coin available. My guess would be that when a coin that is not commonly seen comes up for sale, a few buyers are quick to pounce thinking they'll never have the opportunity again.

I bet this ebay vendor is just laughing himself silly walking to the bank with the great sale
Pillar of the Community
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A high percentage of coins on eBay are overpriced.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4127 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actual eBay sales prices, assuming that they aren't shill bids, are by definition the market value. Yes, I suspect that your guess is right. Danish West Indies were just not issued in any numbers. I too am surprised at some of the sale prices, because my mental picture of value is still stuck in 2005-2010 when I was buying a lot.

In some cases like India, while the coins were issued in large number, in recent years the local market has taken off, so that the catalogues of several years ago do not reflect current pricing levels.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11551 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every world coin I've been interested in for some time now is priced higher on eBay than in any guides I look at. That suggests that the guides are no longer accurate for the market.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
04/16/2021 6:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8522 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every world coin I've been interested in for some time now is priced higher on eBay than in any guides I look at. That suggests that the guides are no longer accurate for the market.

I was watching a British 1840 halfcrown on eBay last week. It's a better date but by no means a rare coin. My catalog priced it at 65 in Fine. The specimen on eBay was barely VG. I thought it might fetch 40 but was gobsmacked when it sold for over 70.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3893 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you remember that guides do not sell coins you will be OK .
As stated above by @Oriole Ebay sold is part of the current market .
World collectors will generally pay whatever it takes ( within reason ) to acquire a coin
for their collection .
Since Covid started world coins have been selling extremely well as there is pretty
Much a captive audience all around the world.
As a dealer trying to buy right now is brutal with very little available . European
auctions which were a great source for me for years are experiencing goofy prices !
A further issue , quality is the number one priority right now , even for so called common
World Coins .
A couple of examples last year before Covid hit I was on a buying trip in the UK .
I was able to buy a 25 lot of 1949 New Zealand Crowns and a similar amount of 1953
Southern Rhodesia Cecil Rhodes Crowns . The condition was better than normally
encountered . We TRIPLED UP on most of them ! These are so-called common coins!
Simply , supply and demand are totally out of sync!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18448 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed higher prices for World coins over the last 18 months or so.

My theory for this:
Dealers have to rely more on on-line business to survive due to the CV-19 pandemic. Their volume of business is also less in most cases, and to keep their business solvent, they have been forced to increase their profit margins.

As a potential client/customer, higher prices have severely discouraged me from buying. As the pandemic recedes over the next 18 months or so, I strongly suspect that retail coin prices are going to fall, as the numismatic market goes through a correction. Sales volumes will increase in the medium term.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4655 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AGree with all of these comments:

@oriole:
Quote:
Actual eBay sales prices, assuming that they aren't shill bids, are by definition the market value.

@spruett:
Quote:
Every world coin I've been interested in for some time now is priced higher on eBay than in any guides I look at.

The world coin market for desirable (rather than "common") coins has been moving up quickly over the last 1-2 years. The market value has little to do with catalogs; it has to do with the supply/demand balance for a given coin in a given condition at any point in time. Asking prices on eBay are always high because of dreamers; real sold item prices reflect the current market. Prices at other auctions are also high right now for many world coin countries or types.

The only way to find a bargain in world coins right now is to find a seller who has NOT done their research, but has priced coins according to sales prices of 2 or 3 years ago.
Edited by tdziemia
04/17/2021 08:03 am
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an American buyer, I remember world coins going for prices much much lower than their American counterparts. This was one of the reasons why I switched my interests a while back, as collecting world coins provided a variety of interesting pieces at much lower prices. I'm a little down to hear from many of you that this might not be the case anymore. Well, the hunt still goes on!
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel
Another reason why prices have been higher could be because of the availability of stimulus money?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1105 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to what has been posted above about prices, I have seen more scarce issues come to market lately, probably because of the boost in prices. So, although the prices are elevated, I am now buying coins that just haven't been in the market in many years.
Edited by jgenn
04/17/2021 02:45 am
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's been odd to see a flip in a number of world coins. Coins I casually consider as common seem to be selling for really crazy premiums...if it catches someone's eye, off to the races from there...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4655 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
World coin catalogs from a few years back priced the coin at around $40-$60 in the condition it was in,

Maybe those catalogs were wrong even then? I can find a VF example that sold for $150 in 2015, and an aVF that sold for 140 eu in 2016.

Quote:
I'm a little down to hear from many of you that this might not be the case anymore.

Don't give up. There are still some less popular types that can be found at reasonable prices. I've landed a few coins in the last month that I didn't think I would get.
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This post reminds me the prices realized at Stacks Bowers recent world coin auction in Hong Kong. The hammer realized some truley WOW LOL values on a lot of stuff. I was personally watching the Thai coins. Many of them went for 2-3x what I felt would have been a strong price anyways. I won nothing and felt like a winner I still had my bank account.

I think the market is just strong for decent stuff these days.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wizened to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that world coins are not overvalued on ebay. Ebay is the largest auction market, and it sets value. I would look at ebay sales (if there are enough to get a good sense of things) over some book value (which for me would be NGC value).

I have noticed that some coins consistently sell on ebay for more than book value, and some for less. To me this indicates that the book is out of date.

Figuring grade on an old coin is hard for me. You see a 200 year old coin that would be an F or VF if a modern coin described as AU, even in slabs. You have to develop a sense for whether a coin is quite nice for the year and type rather than grading on modern rubric.

Prices can get high if two bidders or more go for a fairly rare coin. Also ebay is full of buy it now coins at absurd pricing. Why do they do that? Because every now and then someone buys such an overpriced coin.

Lastly, when an ebay auction states "RARE!" is rarely is rare. When an ebay auction says "AU" it rarely is. When I sell I don't state grade if lower grade, and usually use general words like nice or high grade for better coins and leave it to the buyer to grade the coin himself.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
238 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did this guy get so many bids and such a high price? I always thought that the auction shows the real value of the coins, don't you? Is it better to have an auction or a fixed price ?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 864Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05