Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does This 1927 Penny Have Die Flaw?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 504Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spydercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed that the 'O' in 'GOD WE TRUST' is missing the bottom part. Is this post damage or a die flaw? Thank you for looking.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39009 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like PMD to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57018 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is evident Die Deterioration here, but I'm guessing this was just the result of a circulation hit.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spydercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
What do you think about this double line on the 'D'?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the O is considered a circulation hit then the same should apply to the D
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57018 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just another circulation hit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On 'GOD' We are seeing die wear on the tops of the devices of 'GO'. On the 'O' if looks like a hub chip, (not to be confused with a die chip) when the hub breaks off a device, this will show on more dies as this hub is failing and more than one die could be created by the broken hub. on 'D' that is master die doubling. On most wheat cents:
There are more Items that are like that, but nobody has asked to see these yet. (hint, hint)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4882 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this thread last night, then put two and two together once I saw the latest post about hub chips on the CoopHome thread. I see you made it here first, though!

Quote:

There are more Items that are like that, but nobody has asked to see these yet. (hint, hint)

Hint taken. May we see them?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already added them on the other thread.
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...7589#3403070

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
04/17/2021 6:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You will also find this same issue on some 27-D's [1DO-2].

Edited by CentSation
04/17/2021 4:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were made from the same damaged hub.

Just checked PCGS, red coins only 9 Phillys, 6 Denvers and 4 San Francisco. So about half and half on these.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
04/17/2021 6:14 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spydercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
per Coop:"Just checked PCGS, red coins only 9 Phillys, 6 Denvers and 4 San Francisco. So about half and half on these."

Being new to coin terminology, I'm not sure what this means.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the graded examples not all of them had this issue. Only parts of them were affected. With information coming from the chain of command, (die creation Proceedure)

If this were an issue with all the coins that year. The Master hub could have been doubled that year.
If this were an issue with 50% of the coin, the master die could have been affected. (Note on the image above there are only two of these created)
Next step down is the Working hubs, if they were affected they would pass on down the line the same issues. (in this case a broken hub device) There would be several working dies created with this issue. Not that it is a premium, it would explain why these dies were creating cents with the same issue. (weakness of the one device)
I'm not seeing enough of these to declare it was a master hub issue, but I feel it was a working hub issue. Also for the fact that the device was missing, tells me it was a working hub issue. If it were a working master die issue, the same die chip would be passed on down the chain of command.

CoopHome: What does an example of a working hub issue show on coins?
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is also seen on other years on the devices with small areas missing on the devices:

If it were a broken die issue, the void on the die would be seen as a raised area, called a die chip. (very common)

CoopHome What does a Die chip look like?
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
04/18/2021 7:58 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spydercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you for your time and your instruction. I am overwhelmed and have so much to learn and I appreciate that you take the time to educate me!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out CoopHome. Note it turns blue? That will take you to a quick study on various subjects. It is now up to 7 pages now. Subjects with educational images to help you see what I see on a coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 504Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05