Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian 1 Dollar 2010

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 209Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  09:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi from Sue.

Am just curious if an image like this quality is good enough for a basic grading.
I scan at TIFF 1200 dpi and then scale down in JPG till under 300K.

The dots are probably dust on the scanner as the coin appears flawless under a magnifier.

I have a Cannon EOS 1100D but the macro lens costs a bomb so scannings my best bet. That or the P30 Pro phone I havent tried.

Sue

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39009 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure to dust off the scanner glass before hand and to properly rotate photos before posting.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sue

Thanks John. I was actually thinking about the rotation whenn I previewed the scans but thought what the heck and continued.
Will take that on board.
Will try the phone camera to see if I get on better. Am sure it has Macro. See if the spots go away.
Again thanks. Am new at this but its tottaly taking me over!

Sue
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5726 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you looking for folks to give their grading opinions? If yes, you'll need to adjust your scanner so that more detail can be seen on all areas of the coin - devices and fields. With the images presented, it is impossible to assess if there are marks on the Queen's portrait or on the tiger - they're too dark and featureless!

I will say that most, but not necessarily all, modern collector coins in capsules (from the mint that struck them) are going to grade as either 69 or 70. And, whether you scan or image via your phone, it will be almost impossible for folks here to definitively assess whether your coin is a 69 or 70 - it's often hard to do that with the coin in hand! Grading services can be a bit unpredictable with their 69 vs. 70 assignments!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 209Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05