Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1837 Brittania Is It That Old?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 565Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi from Sue

I have some old silver circulated coins like Three Pence and older but are usually of circulated quality.

If this is real its the oldes immaculate coin I found so far.

Is it really that old or a fake ?

Thanks
Sue

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8497 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sue - please could you post a picture of the reverse?

You have posted two pictures of the obverse!

Also, please advise what is the diameter in mm?

Thanks!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Its probably a novety item or something...
Its good image practice!

Thanks for the reply!

Sue
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
601 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still only seeing the obverse! It is the reverse we need to see.

I strongly suspect it is one of the "fantasy" crowns made in the last 20 years to sell to modern collectors. Probably not silver and of little numismatic value, though it would sell to the collectors of these thing. (Which does not include me!)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8497 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Do both sides have the same design?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
587 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56734 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A copy of something, don't know what, but it's not old.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob my apologies. I swear for ages my post had both sides. The other side is a Roman? Killing a dragon.
In fact it's the coin linked by Hogarth!
Yeah Ebay lol. I think it's made of Cupronickel or something. No way it's that old and worth 60 but it is perfect.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to be a pain. Clearly the EBay is the same diameter but mines only 25 g.
Otherwise the advert is the same coin.
Sue
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
587 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yours is probably not one of the .925 ones.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8497 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Hogarth has identified it. I'm pretty sure Richard Lobel has listed some of these William IV retro-patterns in his newsletter and price list "The Phoenix".
Edited by NumisRob
04/17/2021 6:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin is called retro, its a modern fantasy. St George Killing the dragon did not appear on William IV crowns, a embellished crowned shield did.
This coin is a complete modern fantasy.

The style of the lettering on the card and plastic case suggest to me this coin is no older than the late 1970s and probably much later like 2000s or 2010s.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/20/2021 2:53 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prince I think your referring to half crowns with the embellished shields. George and the dragon first appeared on George III crowns 1818 and the again with a design change but still George and the Dragon in 1821 for George IV

Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not got any pics to hand of the George IV as CCcleaner in its infinite wisdom deleted 56k pictures from my PC. But here is my Purpose bought fake Crown of George IV. The George and the dragon then disappeared through all of Queen Victoria's reign where the shield reverse was used. Until the jubilee year of 1887 through to 1892 where George and the dragon was again used for the reverse of the crowns.
And of course 1902 for Edward VII was the sole year the George and dragon was used during his reign. Modern years 1935 George V it appeared again with a completely new modern look and received mix reviews. Nicknamed the rocking horse crown as it was said to resemble a child's rocking horse toy. A little unfair I quite like it. Then lastly for George VI 1951 expo the normal George and the dragon was used for the reverse of the 1951 crown. I think I got them all

Valued Member
United Kingdom
459 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prince please shoot me in the head you are absolutely right about William IV and is why I omitted them . I swear I thought you put George IV. I am now retiring to the shire never to be seen again and whip myself with a bracken branch. My apologies sir
Valued Member
United Kingdom
108 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SueCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but given the complexity of those responses I can be forgiven for lack of academia.
I do look up stuff. I was just curious. Will go to the Shire with zookeeperz.
Sue
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 565Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New