Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Brunswick 1864 E Over F

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 484Next Topic  
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  2:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I am looking for some experts opinion/advice on the following coin.

The specific coin in question is a Province of New Brunswick 1864 1 Cent, E over F variety. This coin has been graded by PCGS as "Cleaned".

I would like to know how to determine that this coin has been cleaned? I do see some marks on the obverse, but I don't see any hairlines. Would the color be the main factor?

Like I mentioned, the coin is in a PCGS holder and it is hard to get clean photographs.

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With copper it's often about the colour rather than hairlines (though you can find both of course. There's a certain 'salmon' colour that's a dead giveaway with cleaned coins...even if it's only on part of the coin. It's hard to tell from that particular picture. There looks to be an intact 'halo' effect on the obverse which might mean that it's not cleaned. On the other hand, PCGS's reputation is that they are particularly good with copper. Doesn't mean they never make mistakes but they mostly know what to look for.

The E over F is a rare coin (I would say under-valued) so, as long as it's not hideous, it might not matter so much if it's been messed around with.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1706 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a number of these and like mentioned a hard coin to find in higher grades. This one looks like it would have graded EF-AU also liked mentioned I don't think the clean comments would hurt the value a lot. Nice Coin
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for your comments. I agree that this variety is hard to find (especially in higher grades) and I am pleased with this coin even if it is cleaned. PCGS has graded this coin AU-details.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's in a Gold Shield holder there should be a True-View photo for it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1316 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am very surprised that PCGS is recognizing this variety.
may of us have been chasing it.
And, contrary to you guys grades, mine would be at the most VF 30
there is a lot of wear on the obv.
but, would be happy to be wrong.
Perhaps the op would post the PCGS #?or the slab?
Learn More...
Canada
9657 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has been certifying this type, called "Blundered Legend" for several years now. I know the owner of the top two graded coins, which were really cherry picks. This one, at MS-64RB, is the finest known.

https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/mint...618772&h=pop
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1316 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP, I am a bit slow understandung here.
are u saying that your link does show the OP's coin?
Or is it just one of the top EF's u wished to show?
If so, what happened to the fingerprints... MS64 full of prints?
Just asking..
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please see below the TrueView photo

Learn More...
Canada
9657 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the colour of the open fields versus what you see protected in and around the legends. This coin was cleaned and retoned some time ago. Still, it's a desirable variety in that condition.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information SPP.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 484Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New