Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beware This 1804 Half Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 519Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  3:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is a fake 1804 Half Cent. Some of the other coins from this same ebay seller look suspicious as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1804-Spike...184773376918
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil, I agree. I see obliterated text, probably the word "replica" in a slight arch from the throat area into the field and an overall graininess. I always look for the faint remains of copy or replica and I swear I see it quite often on many ebay coins but when I started a topic about this it seems like everyone thinks I am just crazy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56765 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's gone now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17329 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do with when People posted these "fake on Ebay" posts they would include the images from the listings and not just a link to it. 90% of the time the listing is gone before I see the post, and the ebay image tool we have only returns the first image on removed listings. If you want to warn people what to look out for they need to be able to see it.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Condor101. Next time I see one like this, I will post the image, not just the link.

This coin had the spiked chin obverse, but did not have the copy C6 reverse like a lot of the Chinese counterfeits we have seen before. This one had a much longer fraction line than any of the spiked chin reverses. The surfaces were rough on both sides. That's the best description I can give without photos. It was an obvious fake if you are familiar with Half Cents.
Edited by Phil310
04/19/2021 09:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's back. Here is the link and images. The one I saw before wasn't toned. Same ebay seller as before.

Now that I have the photo again, I think it was modified from the C-6 reverse.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1804-Spike...184781592971

Edited by Phil310
04/21/2021 09:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately there are two bids on this Half Cent now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I informed the seller and he thanked me for letting him know and ended the listing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1077 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I'd be suspicious of any 1804 not graded. Even then, buying sight unseen I'd request an angled shot showing both the coin and encapsulation edge of all four sides to verify that it was not tampered with.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05