Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2002 New Zeleand 20c Pieces

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 203Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are the circulating and mint set coins identical?
I think I have one of each (one definitely from a mint, one from change here in Australia which is likely a circulation piece) and they appear identical to me.

I ask because different mints struck them and am trying to see if they can be distinguished.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2504 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I know of. By 2002 they were only minting a few thousand sets each year and the cost was up to like $70 for a normal set and $150+ for proof.

The chances of a set coin landing in circulation from this era and especially in Australia, are incredibly low. Maybe a 70s set coin as the sets were incredibly cheap then (About $5 - $10).

These are all circulation coins, taken from circulation (My personal collection)

The 2002 20 cent piece for circulation was a higher quality finish than the earlier Kiwi coins, it was the first issue of them for circulation since the limited issue of 1990. The coins have a higher rim and sharper impression. I found right up to 2006 when they were replaced by the smaller coin, any 2000s date coin excepting the $1 and $2 coins which were soft brass and aluminium, was still shiny and fresh looking.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2721.html

Would like to see the coin in question, but almost certain it's a circulation piece. The circulation coins were minted by Royal Mint. I suspect the set ones were to, but some years the Aussies did it and later some German group did.

As for mints, it is vital you do not confuse the newer and older coins. The pre 2006 large coins are no longer legal tender here and only circulate in Australia as "parasite coins" being similar in size and shape to Aussie 20c, but essential worth only 18.1c and now nothing as they are demonitised and worthless.

The recent 20 cents (Smaller one) is minted in Canada and the last Uncirculated set ones from 2006 to 2012 were minted at the Dutch mint in Utrect, also in Cupro nickel like the old ones, but modern small 20 cents are nickel plated steel.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
04/18/2021 01:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is most certainly a circulation piece though I'm wondering if there is a definitive way to tell - on the 2004 coins for example the 4 is different on the mint set coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05