Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Jefferson 5c Nickel You Vs PCGS

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 822Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you own this coin?

Yes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10074 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i cant see this at 67 due to the flatness in strike in both sides and I think its better than a 64 soooo that leaves 65 or 66. flip a coin and it has an outside chance at 66 but I'm going against the grain and saying they gave it an FS designation. MS66FS. PCGS is pretty tough so it will be interesting to see what they said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7914 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too think PCGS is way, way too generous with giving out the FS designations on Jefferson nickels. I won't be surprised to see a FS on a slab label from them either, but I will say all day there is no way that this coin is actually a FS nickel, it's really nice, but FS? Nope.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 Hours left
Pillar of the Community
United States
7914 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
13+ hours after the 2 hour announcement, and we're just over here tapping our fingers. LOL Come on Grape get it together man!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come on Grape get it together man!

Shhhh, I've heard that before

PCGS gave it MS65. NOT Full Steps. Here's the thing, I was/am the original submitter, even though I do not think this is full steps, however, given PCGS and NGC both are garbage at actually getting FS right I figured it was worth the $20 on the off shot they dropped the ball. I mean hey, if it hit FS that's an easy free $17k.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
793 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shhhh, I've heard that before

PCGS gave it MS65. NOT Full Steps. Here's the thing, I was/am the original submitter, even though I do not think this is full steps, however, given PCGS and NGC both are garbage at actually getting FS right I figured it was worth the $20 on the off shot they dropped the ball. I mean hey, if it hit FS that's an easy free $17k.

I agree, not a FS, but how that is considered not full steps, but this is https://www.PCGS.com/cert/84017369 it's fair to see why the risk was taken.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56908 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, 65 sounds a bit harsh.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep Numis, coins like that are why I'll risk $20. I figure it's like a scratch off but with significantly better odds.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
793 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yep Numis, coins like that are why I'll risk $20. I figure it's like a scratch off but with significantly better odds.

I really wonder what it is that causes then to give the FS designation to such... 'empty stepped' coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
793 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also what do you plan to do with this '66 in a '65?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7914 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on the call for FS designation you'll never know without trying at least. That's a lot of moolah to leave on the table possibly. Going through the Coin Facts site and looking at some of their FS coins is a joke though, I could see how this could squeak through, but then again I wonder if it's more who is submitting them than anything? Things like that, or even the impropriety of favoring a submitter is supposed to never happen, and why my friend old high school coin pal Keith started ICG originally. He had a great idea and it worked for awhile, but in the end PCGS and NGC were just the 900 lb. gorillas in the market and nobody was going to take them down.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also what do you plan to do with this '66 in a '65?

Not sure really. Probably sit on it for a while and try to eventually sell it for a premium.

Quote:
you'll never know without trying at least. That's a lot of moolah to leave on the table possibly. Going through the Coin Facts site and looking at some of their FS coins is a joke though, I could see how this could squeak

I've thought about doing a formal write up about FS Nickels. I've long been deeply disappointed in PCGS and NGC when it comes to FS nickels and how incredibly inconsistent, or consistently wrong they are.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 822Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05