Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identifying Medieval (Nederland?) Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 253Next Topic  
Valued Member

Netherlands
84 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  07:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need a help with coin identify. Looks like Nederland's.

Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
19158 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting one @vstef. I see several 12th-13th Century silver coins with a bishop and crozier on one side and a few other coins with a short cross with a pellet in each quarter, but none with both of these features. I wish that I could pick up at least a couple letters in the inscription.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, a bishop's coinage from the obverse, maybe 11th - 12th c from the reverse?

For Netherlands, it seems Utrecht would be the best option, but I cannot find a match there. There are some reverses from Bernoldus which are close, but I don;t see an obverse with him wearing this type of mitre.

(edit: I see @spence is headed in same direction)
Edited by tdziemia
04/18/2021 09:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some denars of Worms with this combination, but I cannot find a close match.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7397669

I would not be surprised if some other German bishoprics have this combination (Regensburg?) but I suppose the farther from Netherlands the less likely?
Learn More...
United States
19158 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that's pretty close @tdz, but for this coin, I think that the bishop has an imperial orb in his right hand rather than a crozier. See here for example:

https://www.numismatikforum.de/view....php?t=57884

Worms was definitely a front-runner for me though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Netherlands
84 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! The same thoughts. Found similar, but not exact match on both sides.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one from Tiel is pretty close, and others I can find in a search "Tiel denar" also have very similar aspect to the bishop's face and mitre
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=552043

I also checked places a bit to the south (Luik/Liege, Metz, Verdun) but nothing close.

Valued Member
Netherlands
84 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia Thanks!! Yes, seems like the closest match.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05