Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D & P Small Date(S) Lincoln Memorial

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 617Next Topic
Page: of 2
Guam
4 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kjallday to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9739 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are except for the one on the top left, it is a large date.
Edited by JimmyD
04/18/2021 08:08 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50795 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but they are one of the two common ones of the seven. The Zinc ones. The small date, Denver copper is the rare one.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos though.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56903 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Guam
4 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kjallday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
xD to the ccf!

worth an official grading...?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1337 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Keep looking, the coppers are out there..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4823 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Just a word of advice, one thing you will definitely need in this hobby is an inexpensive digitial scale that preferably reads in hundredths of grams or 0.00
This will be an indispensable piece of equipment when ever in doubt as to the weight of any coin, especially in distinguishing copper cents from zinc cents. Even after countless years of collecting Lincolns, I am still occasionally fooled just by looking at copper cents and I have even come to be able to feel the relative difference in weight just but "bouncing" a penny in my hand. I've had some that I would swear were zinc but throw them on the scale and they come in at a copper weight range and vice versa. Just food for thought!
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, definitely not worth sending to a third-party grader ( TPG) in that condition and with that commonality of the date/type.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop. How did you know from just looking these were zinc? What's the telltale sign?
I'm learning to train the eye.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, the 95% copper darkens more evenly and reaches a deeper brown hue, when heavily circulated. The copper-plated zinc often ends up a bit more splotchy, for lack of a better word, and is often (but not always) a bit lighter in color. This is not foolproof, however, and as @scuba1 says, there are sometimes surprises.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It's better to post only one coin per topic. When you post images of the coin, make sure to post large, high definition pictures of both sides with the image cropped and in the correct orientation, so that it's easier for us to give our opinions.

The 1982-D looks like it's a copper plated zinc strike because of the surfaces. They look to be spotted with zinc dust just under the copper. This is a common trait of copper plated zinc cents.

The real key to determining if a coin is a zinc core or copper strike is the weight. If you don't have a scale that weighs in grams, you should try to get one. Make sure it weighs in at least tenths and hundreds of a gram. (000.00) for the best accuracy. It should cost about $10 to $15 and can be found at Walmart or Amazon with free shipping (in most cases.)
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50795 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the change over to the zinc, they experienced a transitional period of the plating over the zinc. This dist they were plating is seen on the coins as a slightly rough finish on the coins. I see that on the images. Thus knew they were both zinc cents. But this in not as bad as it got, it was years before they figured out the problem. It was a simple rinsing of the planchets to remove the issue. But a lot of these cents looked a lot worse.

They used to call it "The orange rind effect." But when you look at an orange rind, the bumps are actually incuse on an orange. Just opposite of the effect on the coin.

CoopHome: Plated zinc Dust? What is that?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/18/2021 7:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coop. How did you know from just looking these were zinc? What's the telltale sign?
I'm learning to train the eye.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 617Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05