Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Peace Dollar Bulk Lot Question And Advice?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,088Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this yesterday from a local Jewlery store owner. Short version he has over 40 , 1922 that he just got in from someone hard up for cash. He offered them all to me for $10 each for the lot. I know nothing about them or the VAM listings.Bought this one because I liked the tone on it . Can anyone with some knowledge of the series point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$10 each?!?! Forget worrying about varieties...

If they are real, they each contain ~$20 in silver at current spot prices, which are close $26/ozt. And even cull silver dollars seem to sell for $5 or more over the spot price these days.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's$20 of silver for $10. Not sure why he is offering it cheap. Check weight and size. Pics look good.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edit .... He is not trying a scam (I dont believe )he told me he got them for "around 5 each" ... I'm guessing "or less". Hes working a deal to buy a bulk lot of gold so think he may be just trying to raise some quick cash . ? Weight on one I got is 26.73 G. So seems legit ?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone in a bind offered them to me for five each, I would not sleep well taking advantage of someone like that. Or, I might think they were stolen...

On the other hand that is a ridiculously low price he is offering you. Maybe he hasn't recalibrated his pricing expectations for several years?
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hes older , Ive known and bought many proof sets from him in the past . I'm still questioning why so cheap ... Guess I need to bring the scale with me ? Lol
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hes working a deal to buy a bulk lot of gold so think he may be just trying to raise some quick cash . ?

If he finds out gold costs more than $400/ozt anymore, the price on his silver might be going way up!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A question to anyone looking in....

Would the tissue test work on a toned coin such as this one?

Edited: maybe that and a scale would be quickest for this poster
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
04/18/2021 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got this yesterday from a local Jewlery store owner. Short version he has over 40 , 1922 that he just got in from someone hard up for cash. He offered them all to me for $10 each for the lot.

And you didn't take it? Are they real? Here ya go: Per COIN!!!

Values Entered:

Quantity: 1
Coin Type: 1921-1935 Peace dollar
Silver Price: $19.97 / troy ounce

Edited by Rothery
04/19/2021 12:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I edited my above post/question because without the added edit it seemed (to me) like I was hi-jacking the topic and didn't want that...

@ Rothery...sorry I don't understand your response...please enlighten me....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.sorry I don't understand your response...please enlighten me..

Well I'm not religious so I can't "enlighten" you but if you put things together then yo can tell "I was offered them for 10$ apiece" and then "Coin Type: 1921-1935 Peace dollar
Silver Price: $19.97 / troy ounce"
- just doesn't make sense - EH?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39525 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy them all. Take your scale and a magnate with you. Stay in the loupe on the gold one also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4142 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the right app on your phone, compare the "ping' with a known real one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9639 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse on that piece is amazingly well struck up, particularly for a lightly circulated coin. While the price is right out of the 1980's, I'd investigate further. What is the thickness? Can you get a pic of the rim?
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
4418 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they're legit, grab 'em. Quickly.
Learn More...
United States
33752 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just day dreaming.... if I tell him he is only asking half the price of silver in each coin, he may realize he has made a big mistake on the pricing. Jewelers aren't usually shy about charging big markups, so why would he offer genuinely huge discount? Hmmm, wouldn't a jewelry store have some sort of precious metal detection equipment? Is greed clouding my judgement? *wakes up*
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,088Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05