Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help ID Coin Dug With A Metal Detector (Id: Liberty Nickel)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 687Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  06:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add metal_kettle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin was found with a metal detector in NY, this aarea had colonial activity and lots of activities a lake to fish swim and camp. I am gratefull for any thought of what it might be. This size of it is a US Nickel its made of copper.
Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@metal, first welcome to CCF. Second, any chance of you posting a pic of the other side to this thread also? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38912 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Photo of the other side please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
231 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some dug coins etc are hard to id due to heavy corrosion and your find is no different.
An exact measurement in mm and a weight to a couple of decimal points and of course a pic of the other side are all going to be needed to maybe get to the bottom of your mystery coins identity

Keep digging them up and sooner or later a good one will come by!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add metal_kettle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the responces, The back is really bad shape
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yikes not a lot to go on here. I've played around a bit with the lighting on your first pic, and am pretty sure that there is a point number 4 on the left side. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The second side is below basal state, at least to my eyes.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add metal_kettle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont know if its me I looked through a magnifying glass and I swear I'm seeing a 176 something it might be part of the design, I have even came back at it few hours later. Its tiny off center on the coin. Ive tried to zoom in with camera its to ditorted..Ive even tried using a soft pencil to trace details no luck. I appericate the help from all the kind folks.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add metal_kettle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can read a couple letter off this in the seccond part it starts with SADDR possibly and SADDIS the letters are english
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38912 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try wetting it and then look at it with a magnifier.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17264 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size and composition (if copper) are consistent with a duit from the Netherlands which would have been circulating in colonial New York. But I don't see anything in the design of those coins that matches with what little is visible here.

There were also a lot of French Huguenots in New York state (Huguenot, NY is not far from where I grew up) so even French copper coins could be an option.

But I think the advanced state of corrosion makes it unlikely we can even say whether it is a coin.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
63 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure different people see different things when looking at such a corroded piece.

What I see is a gentleman in a frock coat standing on the left (who looks like he is playing the violin). To the right I can see a palm tree with its knobbly stem and fan of branches at the top. At the lower right there appears to be a horizontal scroll with a name on it.

It's an odd looking piece and hopefully someone will recognise it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I see is a gentleman in a frock coat standing...

Yes, that is the only thing I thought I could make out in that photo. Or maybe the robes of a monk/friar since that could be consistent with a religious medal (some popular saints like Francis are depicted this way, though he wasn't much of a violin player ). An extended right hand could be where @spence saw a numeral.
Edited by tdziemia
04/22/2021 09:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1981 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you reorient the obverse, it might also be a bird on a perch. Off the top of my head, pre-decimal Irish coins, some of the Isle of Man issues, and some from the Cayman Islands might be starting points, and might be close to the size and composition. That is IF it is a bird.

It might be worth taking it to a jewelry store to see if they would be willing to do an XRF scan on it for composition. That's a completely non-destructive test, but may give some guidance.

Here's the photo after I rotated it and adjusted the image. If the now horizontal line is a perch, the bird's head would be at 2:00, and the tail feathers NE-SW, ending at 7:00.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add metal_kettle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well its solved! today I had an idea that's worked well for me to clean coins in the past using electrolysis. After a few min it started to take notice of stars..and outline design of of a woman..Its a V nickel&. Thanks for peoples suggestions it was fun.

Michael

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 687Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05