Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What An Amazing Roll Find / 1968 D Or 1966 D USA Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 786Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
542 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Found this penny roll searching today covered with raised diamonds. What is with this penny coming out of the mint like this?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
542 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9758 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't come out of the mint like that. PMD
It is a typical vice coin and the diamonds are incuse, not raised.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just squeezed in a vice with diamond pattern jaws

Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1802 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No 1966D cents, so probably '68
Pillar of the Community
United States
3978 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post strike damage--fun none-the-less.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
542 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These pictures show clearly these Diamonds are raised not inscured. Hope this helps out better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4415 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if they are raised, I'd say you really got something special there.
Best to take a second look....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These pictures show clearly these Diamonds are raised not inscured. Hope this helps out better.
Interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3308 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not raised, incuse. PMD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3978 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a photo or two taken at a 30 degree angle or so. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking incuse as well. Looks like the displaced metal was pushed out at the rims. But, I can see how with that lighting, it is hard to tell. It made me do a double take.

I am betting your light is nearly 90 degrees over the coin. You might try light from a low angle. If raised the diamond is raised, it should be bright on the side nearest the light and dark on the far side due to the shadow. If it is a hole, then the shadow will be on the side near the light.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56945 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait - are they raised on BOTH sides, or raised on one side and incuse on the other?
Learn More...
Canada
9667 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The deformation of the rim is a red flag for me.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see more pictures too if those diamonds are raised.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those are raised then that would mean the die would have had to have those diamond patterns pressed INTO it and that just doesn't make sense -
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 786Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05