Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 Clad Washington Quarter - Open To Interpretation

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 667Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I swooped this for 1$ on ebay. I expected to just get a coin with glue on it..but I took a shot in the dark because it looked to have a very good chance of being legit. It is in very nice shape and I'm honestly not sure what to label it...is this a Lamination on a clad quarter..ooor maybe an occluded gas bubble?..it 100% is not glue. It is very ap-pealing...pun intended

It isn't searched if you dont know what you are looking for.
Edited by KeepTheChange
04/20/2021 02:23 am
Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ktc, yes not glue. Can you confirm that this layer is separated from the rest of the coin? It doesn't look like the bubbling that we see with overheated coins, but rather a thin layer that has delaminated from the bulk metal, but has not peeled away at all.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3172 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling Dr. Coop
Learn More...
United States
99495 Posts
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence pics added to original post
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
occluded gas bubles usually only occur on solid alloy coins...but that is the only other guess I can come up with other than a lamination
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50867 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. A struck through clad debris onto this coin. The more the images on this one, the more interesting it was. Probably a small premium as it is not seen often. (my first time)

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/19/2021 9:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were stuck in debris,wouldnt you be able to see the edges or complete outline of the fragment? This appears to be blended in so well to the surface that I wouldnt personally say it is simply a strike thru...just my opinion
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight 5.78
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More pics added
Learn More...
United States
19229 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly seems lam-like with the lip peeling away at the rim near IGWT.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lamination that just didn't crack along the surface in many places. I like it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5609 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent intuition, paid off well. First for me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2146 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the anomaly on the rim below the date? It seems to be in line with the main part. Any images of that part of the edge?

I'm wondering if this could be something (grease? oil? liquid?) that got between the layers and kept them from bonding.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50867 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still part of the same issue. It would be nice to see if it folds over on the reeds? If so and it covers the copper layer, that would be concluding proof that is is a struck through part separate partial cladding on the area. Good thought though? Can wait to hear what the answer is to my question.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse clad layer is separating internally along the horizontal plane. Basically we're looking at a lamination error restricted to the surface of the clad layer.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 667Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05