Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gnarly Rim Cud On A 2018 Cumberland Island Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 206Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  02:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KeepTheChange to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It isn't searched if you dont know what you are looking for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a quarter of a quarter cud.. Nice!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=368005
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38873 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find @ktc!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim cuds aren't exactly known for their eye appeal, but I think you might actually have found one that does. Attractive error coin. Great find!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50707 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting look. Note the rim cud is present, then the rim disappears partway around the rim on both sides. It looks like the metal filled the void, (the missing gutter area) then didn't have enough metal for the rest of the normal rim area. Thus the tapering area on each side of the rim cud. Never noticed this before, but maybe because the rim cud was so large, this happened that way. And on other rim cuds they are smaller and less metal is not lost filling the void and would have enough to create the normal rim.

What causes a rim cud? It is from the die, on the area on the outside edge that forms the coins rim. This I refer to as a gutter, is stepped down slightly from the fields. This allows the rim to higher than the coin, protecting the coin devices. When part of the gutter breaks away off the die, it leaves a void on the die. Well as know, when a void in on the die, it will leave a raised area on the coins struck by that die. What does this breakaway look like on the die. Well I simulated what it will look like on the image on the lower left:

That is what causes the rim cud to happen. Hope this helps a bit more. If we keep moving forward, at these are are going somewhere.

CoopHome: How does a rim cud happen?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/20/2021 12:31 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 206Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New