Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime, PCGS Vs. You

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  04:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will eventually want to upgrade this coin in my type collection, but I've had it since 2001 (I was in high school!). I love it--it is a weathered, well-worn, and well-loved example of an early silver coin that probably found itself in the hands of someone important at some point (I imagine that in the aristocracy that was the early USA, only reasonably "important" people could afford to hold silver coins as pocket change at that time). What do you think? Forgive my low-quality pictures--they were taken a while ago and I am abroad.

Edited by Adam590
04/20/2021 04:38 am
Valued Member
Australia
344 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pics are not good enough
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10037 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
imo these can be tricky to grade. there actually appears to be some luster peeking through in spots. lettering is sharp and rounded. weak strike on both sides which is quite typical. date is sharp and rims are almost complete. this is a really nice example of one of our first coins.

VF35 my only concern is the reverse scratches. will it details? 50/50 chance as they can be more lenient with these early silvers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'llm not good with these at all, but I'll take a stab at F12.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56734 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill say VF-30 but I really have little experience with these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 would be my guess
Pillar of the Community
United States
3017 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess VF-25. Those could be adjustment marks on the eagle, and there's a nice faint die crack across the face. It looks like a scarcer variety, LM-9. What a great high school purchase!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4378 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 to me
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1057 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-12
Pillar of the Community
United States
5470 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike weakness is present on most early silver coins but this coin has a lot of wear. The dark residue on the reverse looks like what an old cleaning attempt failed to remove. The scratches look old but are pretty obvious. I'd venture a "Fine Details, cleaned/scratched" grading result.

Nevertheless, this a tough and desirable coin. I'd be proud to own it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1816 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-details. Cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hint: This coin is straight graded--so I am wondering if Zurie is correct and those "scratches" are adjustment marks. They don't look like what I learned to identify as adjustment marks, but I am not an expert on this. I will provide the grade 48 hours after my original post on this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess F15 it looks really nice almost into VF territory.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one was interesting. There was quite a range of opinions and this one straight grades with the lowest among these opinions. I always thought it looked pretty nice for an F(12) and considered it to have as much detail and originality (I see how some see the residue on the reverse as evidence of an old cleaning, but in person this coin does not look cleaned) as I could hope for at that price point ($1200) at that time. The marks on the back do not resemble adjustment marks I have seen on half dollars or silver dollars, but a few people told me that PCGS straight graded this coin because they are adjustment marks, not scratches. I am not an expert--when I bought it the marks seemed less than ideal, but I liked the coin enough to not consider them a deal breaker.

Edited by Adam590
04/22/2021 2:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and thanks for showing this coin. Pretty significant acquisition for someone in high school
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New