Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1844 Coronet Head Quarter Eagle That Is Not Gold?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 647Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  1:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Might anyone know anything about this coin? Everything that I'm reading says it was only minted in gold and yet I've got one on my desk that isn't gold. It looks, feels, and sounds like a cent or civil war token.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8518 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a contemporary counterfeit, and a really interesting one at that. I've never seen one before, granted I haven't exactly looked for one either.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've had in the family for about fortyish years...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56845 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, very unusual and collectible contemporary counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17329 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A third vote for contemporary counterfeit. Probably had a gold wash at one time. Looks like maybe a lead or pewter alloy.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not lead, the weight's all wrong. There's no evidence of gold in any nook or cranny. There is, though, an odd color around the rim, almost like blued steel. It's not magnetic.
Edited by GABatGH
04/21/2021 2:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
19162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the weight's all wrong.

Can you please share with us what the weight is? Thx.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surely! 2.7g, 18mm diameter, about 1mm thick
Learn More...
United States
19162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK yikes. That seems quite low compared to the normal weight of a Quarter Eagle (4.2 g). This is well outside my area of knowledge, but I wonder if such a weight difference would have been a problem for being accepted in commerce. Perhaps someone else could weigh in on that?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apcol258 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice contemporary counterfeit. These can be quite collectable
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1944 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So nobody thought about an old time Magician coin? How bout a pic of the edge to see if there is a seam?

Quote:
t's a contemporary counterfeit, and a really interesting one at that. I've never seen one before, granted I haven't exactly looked for one either.

Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
04/21/2021 10:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm certain the coin is solid, not hollow, by the sound of it.
[how are you folks quoting people? the only option I have it "reply to topic at the very top of the page]
Pillar of the Community
United States
3845 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look like "Liberty" in the headband. Can OP post a pic of that portion of the obverse? Pictures on the blurry side, but lettering looks "off". So I'm guessing contemporary counterfeit.
Edited by jimbucks
04/21/2021 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1944 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm certain the coin is solid,

Check out the obvious seam........

EDIT: just another conversation point - could it have been a bezel coin?
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
04/21/2021 10:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Check out the obvious seam........"

Now bear in mind I'm still a novice, but I think of "seam", and then Magician's coin, I'm taking that as the coin would be two pieces with a hollow interior (and I say this because I have some). If you're referring to something else then I'm not aware.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...

I know what it is NOT...It's not.....in my pocket

That's all I got...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 647Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05