Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Grade This 1804 Draped Bust Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  5:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shermae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2943 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F Details Corroded
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56864 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming it's genuine (haven't handled many, and certainly not a big time rarity like this), I'll say EF-40 straight.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/21/2021 8:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
787 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF. Color and texture reminds me of a 1900 Canada half dollar I had that had been in a fire prior to my owning it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3024 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF-30, possibly details. Not sure about authenticity—it seems genuine, but the E in Liberty looks off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9604 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High VF Details and worth many thousands of dollars if genuine. I'd want a top TPG to view it for authenticity.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
7910 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it has enough detail left to go high VF35 but the surfaces say details due to light corrosion or pitting. It looks real, I put it into my photo editing software and matched it up exactly with several known good coins from PCGS, nothing was out of place. Sometimes these older coins get special consideration on straight grading with minor issues though so it could grade straight. I don't think it would ever qualify for a CAC sticker though.

The color/look is off putting and I would want to have this evaluated by an expert in hand or even slabbed so there was a guarantee of authenticity if I was buying.

It's not a cheap coin in VF around $15 to 24K add in details from the corrosion then maybe $7500 to $13K. The only recent sale I can find with a quick look was an EF45 at Heritage Auction for $31K+ in January, 2020. These days too expensive not to be in either a PCGS gold shield secure holder or latest NGC holder.

EDIT: BH1964 posted while I was typing and we are on the same track on this one.

also to add, it does have that "been in a fire" look but the surface roughness could also be from a cast coin that used a real one for the master, as it seems to line up on all points. Color and surface roughness are the only things holding me back at the moment.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Edited by westcoin
04/21/2021 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2321 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll join the VF Derails crowd IF this is genuine.

I'm with Zurie, the E in Liberty seems off. The lettering in general looks a bit suspect. With my limited knowledge of this series, I'd pass, as I'm leaning towards not genuine. This one would have to be authenticated for me to even consider it.

I can't offer any further input other than a sneaking suspicion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3845 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF Net. Environmental Damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like she's smiling too much, like she hiding a little secret....best of luck
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoying this discussion and your analysis. I myself am not too knowledgeable about these coins but am always interested in improving my skills. It seems that the majority are favoring VF—details. But isn't VF a rather wide grade? Are we talking VF20 or VF 35 ish?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10069 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But isn't VF a rather wide grade? Are we talking VF20 or VF 35 ish?

on a details designated coin, depending on TPG, they would not list the numerical grade. when a TPG assigns a numerical grade they are basically placing a value on the coin that they think is fair. a details coin can be valued at 20% to even 80% of the value based on the issues.

the coin looks like it was cleaned in its life. there appears to be planchet issues and possibly some corrosion in the reverse star field. not sure whats going on there. as stated, TPG's can be a little more lenient on these very early pieces, however, one has to ask as to why such an expensive coin, probably VF30 range, is not slabbed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05