Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake, Fraud, Or Real? Ebay Auction - 1954 Washington Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 462Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
eBay item number:133729121635

Seller has this listed as a 1954 Washington quarter Proof with Cameo

this coin is 'slabbed' ? by a company I never heard of 'Tru Grade Service' cert number is WAY low (000333)

The coin looks rough with no cameo present to me. No mirror finish (nothing even close to it) but it could be the holder as well.

SO! Opinions?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8518 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is undoubtedly genuine. Just some silly basement slabber though
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look cameo to me. Big positive feedback, full return privileges. What's this worth in PR-65 - maybe $25? Don't see much upside even if you like it. To me a pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7907 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be a nice real Proof Washington probably around a PR63 NO cameo grade. Weird holder, might be worth bidding up to around $15-18 just for that as a novelty if you collect weird TPG holders.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
9603 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Listing violates eBay policy of displaying a numeric grade not by an accredited grading company.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
7907 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BH1964 that is correct I didn't even think about that, wonder if it will get pulled before the auction ends? It would be fine to sell if the grade was covered up or edited out. and Proof in the title is fine, just no numerical grade.

And just for grins I looked up Great Collection archive pricing on a 1954 PR63 Washington quarter, $15.00 was the latest price in a new NGC holder. So maybe $6-8 is a more fair price for this one, that is if it's not pulled by eBay for the rule violation.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Edited by westcoin
04/21/2021 8:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all that commented on this subject.

I'm probably not going to buy it just looking. I need as many '36 - 54 proof coins for my new albums that I can get (at reasonable prices if possible) I was curious about the 'slabbing on this one.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Edited by Dearborn
04/21/2021 8:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, let it go.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like an odd coin to put in a lot of trouble for...but I suppose there's always another way to fool people with "grading companies"
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it interesting that in the description it says CERTIFICATION Uncertified.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find it interesting that in the description it says CERTIFICATION Uncertified.

Another good point..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17329 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TruGrade was not a basement slabber. They were an actual company that accepted outside submissions. But there grading wasn't all that good. They weren't around very long, maybe two years. There was another company that used the same style holder that was around for an even shorter time, NuGrade.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
33141 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the Third Party Grader ( TPG) is not one approved by eBay (PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG) then the coin is considered raw and would properly fit into eBay's classification of "uncertified".
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that the workaround for being able to post the numerical grade? As long as you list it as uncertified you can post the grade?

I've reported several of these in the past with grades visible from non approved TPG's and as you'd expect, eBay did nothing.
Learn More...
United States
33141 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that the workaround for being able to post the numerical grade? As long as you list it as uncertified you can post the grade?
No. All coins that are not certified by NGC, PCGS, ANACS or ICG (eBay approved TPG) are considered "uncertified" or "raw". In eBay's eyes, a bare coin and one graded by, say Tru-Grade, are both raw, and the rules for raw coins apply.

eBay's policy states a numeric grade can only be mentioned or pictured for eBay approved TPGs.

Using eBay's listing reporting system for coin policy violations almost NEVER gets a listing removed.

If you want more information, I invite you to send me a PM.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The policy of the site is it what it is. You buy the coin and if make your business is ok, if not do not buy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 462Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05