Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Small Date Copper Cent?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 546Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3308 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1982-D Large Date.

Size and shape of 8 is large date. Font style of LIBERTY and IGWT is large date design.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it turns out to be a Small Date D then it's still 2x2 worthy to say you have one!
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RCarv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Front of D is wiped out.. sucks to be me...
Well maybe bc my luck goes pretty bad then pretty dang good evertime..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Size and shape of 8 is large date. Font style of LIBERTY and IGWT is large date design.

OP's 3rd picture down shows it pretty clearly.

Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39006 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looking at this incredible specimen I would have to say it is a large date coin

judging by the '8' and how close the tail of the 2 is to the rim. I think that the 'curved neck' of the 2 was caused by all the damage and the metal was pushed over.

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
04/22/2021 3:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
739 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me I see the coin is copper. So 1982-D copper was only large date. The small date is find in copper plated zinc coins minted in the same year.

But do not matter, I thing will be hard to spend this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely large date, the damage just distorted the 2. The distance of the 2 from the rim definitely doesn't lie!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the 1982-D small date was minted in both copper and zinc. But the 1982-S SD is very rare:
https://www.numismaticnews.net/worl...copper-found

The image below shows the much more common and easily found 1982 varieties.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Canada
739 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Dearborn. I never know about this discovery. Nice, I will add to my database. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5707 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large date. Difficult to ascertain from the 2 but the 8 definitely looks to be a large date. Spend it if you can and keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 546Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05